Please Note: This a Day Trip to Lompoc so read the directions below carefully.
1) I am hosting this event for both Gay Foodies and Pleasure Palate.
2) We will be carpooling from a location at Encino at Hayvenhurst exit and the 101 freeway at 8:30 AM.
3) The suggested carpool donation to your designated driver is $20 per person to reimburse for mileage and car maintenance.
4) We will have brunch at a restaurant on the way up to Lompoc.
5) We will be making multiple stops around the Lompoc Valley area including: the flower fields, the La Purisima Mission (both original and new locations), a local museum and a Victorian heritage house.
6) We won't be heading back to LA until until 6 PM or so. If the group is up for it, we can have a leisurely dinner at a restaurant on the way down back to LA. This is just two days after the Summer Solstice, so we will have abundant sunlight hours. Sunset time isn't until 8:15 PM, so let's enjoy as much of the day as we can before heading back to LA.
7) I would recommend bringing about $100 cash for food, any admission and parking fees to the points of interest that we visit that day. Plus you might end up buyign a trinket or two at the fair and museum stores.
Flower Fields Link: http://22.214.171.124/~lompocco/images/flower%20tour%20map.pdf
The 60th Annual Flower Festival will be held June 20th through 24th, 2012. It features a top ranked parade starting promptly Saturday at 10:00am. The Carnival will run for 5 days; Butler Amusements will thrill you with some of the greatest rides and fun. The Arts and Crafts will be Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Commercial Center is open all five days for that unique gift or item you just have to have. There are five days of great Entertainment. Paid parking is available on site for a nominal fee. The Flower Show is sponsored by the Alpha Literary and Improvement Club of Lompoc. This will be the 90th annual Flower Show. Admission to the park is $3.00; children under 12 are free.
The Fabing-McKay-Spanne House was
constructed in 1875, less than a year
after the founding of the town of
Lompoc. The imposing 10 room
Victorian farmhouse was Lompoc’s
first two story wooden residence and
has been designated City of Lompoc
Historical Landmark number four.
In 1968, the Lompoc Valley Historical
Society purchased the property and
fully renovated and furnished the home
in typical Victorian style.
Original Location of
La Purisima Mission
End of South F Street
The original location of La Purisima
Mission is a State and National
Landmark. Situated at the end of
South F Street in Lompoc, its location
belies the magnitude and importance
of the eleventh of California’s Spanish
The mission at this location was
destroyed by an earthquake in 1812.
The large crevice in the hillside above
opened as a result of the earthquake
and tons of mud and water buried
much of what remained of the
mission. The following year, the
Franciscan fathers moved La
Purisima across the river north of
present day Lompoc.
The original site sits amidst private
residences which were built atop the
buried mission ruins. Visible remains
include the stone supports for the
chapel entrance and portions of
cisterns, aqueducts, foundation
stones and tile floor fragments. The
property is owned by the City of
Lompoc, which also purchased the
few remaining vacant parcels in the
area to preserve what is left of the
original La Purisima Mission.
La Purisima Mission was established in
1787 as the eleventh in the chain of 21
Spanish Missions in Alta California.
The original mission was destroyed by
an earthquake in 1812 and was
subsequently moved to its present
location north of Lompoc.
After years of neglect and ruin, the
Civilian Conservation Corps began
restoration efforts in the 1930’s under
President Roosevelt’s New Deal
Program. The rebuilt mission was
dedicated on December 7, 1941
Today, a dedicated group of docents,
“Prelado de los Tesoros” (Keepers of
the Treasures) host thousands of
visitors each year. The volunteers
provide costumed living history events,
guided tours, demonstrations and
outreach programs to bring the history
of the mission period to life.
La Purisima Mission is the most
complete and most accurately restored
mission in the Spanish mission chain.
The Lompoc Museum, established in
1969, is located in Lompoc’s former
Carnegie Library Building.
Constructed in 1911, the building is
Lompoc Historical Landmark number
one and is on the National Register of
The Museum is home to the Clarence
Ruth collection of Native American
artifacts. The collection consists
mainly of local Chumash items
gathered during Mr. Ruth’s surveys of
northern Santa Barbara County in the
The downstairs gallery is known as the
Lompoc Valley Historical Society
Gallery and includes exhibits on the
Mission, Rancho and Modern period of
Lompoc history. Simulated storefronts
display artifacts that were instrumental
in the daily lives of early Lompoc
settlers. Also included are displays
about the local flower seed and
diatomaceous earth mining industries
as well as the 1923 Tragedy at Honda
Naval Disaster. Photos of early
Lompoc are displayed courtesy of the
Lompoc Valley Historical Society.
The Juanita Centeno gallery, also
located downstairs houses temporary
and traveling cultural, artistic and