addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Poems & Coffee Meetup Message Board Poems & Coffee Meetup Discussion Forum › Ideas for Future Meetups

Ideas for Future Meetups

A former member
Post #: 17
If any of you has an idea for a future meetup, please feel free to post it here.
A former member
Post #: 18
Below is a prompt inspired by one of my favorite poems, Walt Whitman's "Song of Myself." The prompt was used at a writing workshop organized by Write Around Portland, though I am unsure of its origin. I think it could be a lot of fun for the group.

Song of Myself
(in the Spirit of Walt Whitman)

Walt Whitman was a poet who celebrated the Body & the Self. Use the following as a way of getting started and writing your own celebration of Self. You may use these questions and prompts or just write whatever comes to you. The idea is to celebrate the song of your Self. Enjoy!

• There is an object in your heart. Explain what it is and what it means.
  • There is a word on your forehead. What is it and what does it mean?
  • If your hands could speak what would they say?
  • If your stomach could house one emotion, what would it be?
  • If your feet were roots where would you want to plant them or which kind of plant or tree would you be?

A former member
Post #: 8
In the spirit of self, I offered a prompt a while back on my currently closed "Writer's Island" blog that got great response and was extremely well received by the 'WI' poets/writer's community. The prompt was: conceive an imaginary life for yourself, then write about or from that perspective - a poem, short story, flash fiction, whatever...

It might be fun for us to try that in the future!? cool

...rob
A former member
Post #: 19
Sounds great, Rob!
A former member
Post #: 23

One thought I had: Come up with a short list of common topics- freedom, loss, birth or whatever.

Every member writes or selects a short piece for each topic. Short enough to fit on a 3-5 card omitting their name.

The cards are kept together by topic but redistributed randomly so that each member reads another members piece. After reading try and guess who's piece you are reading.

It probably works better with people who know eachother but its fun either way.