addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The London Polyamory Meetup Group Message Board The London Polyamory Meetup Group Discussion Forum › ORGANISER MESSAGE: Safety and good behaviour at meetups

ORGANISER MESSAGE: Safety and good behaviour at meetups

nickie{D}
user 2588932
Teignmouth, GB
Post #: 17
I've recently heard that some people haven't always felt entirely safe and comforable at the Meetup group's events at Penderel's Oak. I am very concerned about this. If anyone ever feels unsafe or that another member is behaving inappropriately please can you let me (or another organiser) know as soon as possible so that I (or another organiser) can have a word with the member about their behaviour?

I'd really like our meetings to be safe and welcoming to all - and I'm sure you all agree and would want to know if anything you did or said was causing offence.

SO - PLEASE do tell me about any concerns you may have, as soon as possible!

I can't solve problems I am not made aware of, and while I can't solve all problems anyway, I can at least have a go if I'm given the information about what's upsetting people.
Andy
user 13804581
Rochester, GB
Post #: 2
Hi Nicki

Just to say I didn't pick up this issue at the last meet - without naming names I'd be interested in what people felt had happened that they didn't like (maybe it was something I said . . )

The only thing that will bother me going forward is that if the journalist lady from 'The Garden' TV company is there every time. (twice now).

I'd also be interested in what other people feel about her presence. Personally I am torn between wanting to publicise the group, proselytise the lifestyle on the one hand and keep private / not be misrepresented on the other.

cheers

Andy
Alison Wheeler (.
AlisonW
London, GB
Post #: 3
First up, n, if you hadn't said you'd put a message on the board 'too' I'd not have realised they were here! Anyway ...

A group I was part of in the 19802 which you may have heard of (Lesbian Avengers) had this same issue over *possible* press people and made it absolutely clear at the start of any meeting that whilst people who work in the media were very welcome to be present *as individuals* they were categorically not permitted in any way to make use of their involvement with the group in the day-to-day 'work life'. It worked fine.

As regards the original issue, I am completely 'flirt blind' and can never tell when someone is trying to 'chat me up' (rather than just converse about something of mutual interest) so I miss just about everything else going on sotto voce too.
nickie{D}
user 2588932
Teignmouth, GB
Post #: 18
Hi Andy,

It wasn't the journalist's presence, specifically that people have said they were worried about. I note your concern though and would ask you to contact me directly (you should be able to choose to "email the organiser" somewhere on the site) and give me some feedback on how this is coming across. See Alison's response regarding guidelines for journalists joining groups - would this solve your issue?

nickie{D}

Andy wrote:
Hi Nicki

Just to say I didn't pick up this issue at the last meet - without naming names I'd be interested in what people felt had happened that they didn't like (maybe it was something I said . . )

The only thing that will bother me going forward is that if the journalist lady from 'The Garden' TV company is there every time. (twice now).

I'd also be interested in what other people feel about her presence. Personally I am torn between wanting to publicise the group, proselytise the lifestyle on the one hand and keep private / not be misrepresented on the other.

cheers

Andy

nickie{D}
user 2588932
Teignmouth, GB
Post #: 19
SAFETY HINT

I've been contacted by someone who received an unwelcome email contact from another member.

The way the group is set up means nobody sees your email address, but email messages are forwarded via the site.

IF YOU RECEIVE AN UNWANTED CONTACT EMAIL FROM ANOTHER MEMBER PLEASE

DON'T REPLY as replying will give them your email address!

If the same person persists in sending you unwanted emails, please let me know as Organiser and I will contact them and require them to stop, or otherwise be banned from the group.

I hope this helps.