PAWA (Portland Animal Welfare Advocates) Message Board › Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji, Japan

Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji, Japan

Jennifer W.
user 99492992
Portland, OR
Post #: 1
Hi There,
I just became a member of your group! For the last couple of years, I have been active in the movement to stop the slaughter of dolphins in a small cove in Taiji, Japan that takes place every year from Sept. 1 to the end of March. Thousands of dolphins are herded into the cove and then most are brutally slaughtered. The "pretty" ones are kept alive to sell to aquariums around the world which is what actually fuels the hunt. These aquariums will pay the fishermen up to $150,000 for a wild-caught dolphin. These poor dolphins have to witness the slaughter of their entire pod and then be transferred to a small pool where they are force-fed dead fish and taught to do tricks to entertain aquarium goers.
Anyway, last year I trained and ran 100km along Hwy 30 to Fort Steven State Park on the Oregon Coast to raise awareness and money for Ric O'Barry's Dolphin Project. This year I have not had the time to train, though maybe next year I will try and run 100 miles! :) However, I am one of the organizers of the Portland protest that happens this year on August 30 in front of the Japanese Embassy downtown Portland. Would any of you be interested in getting involved in the issue and possibly attending our rally? We are also going to have a poster making party sometime in August, date and place TBD and I would love to host a showing of "The Cove", the academy-award winning documentary about the dolphin slaughter.
Please let me know if I could organize a group showing of "The Cove" and a question/answer afterwards. I would be happy to supply vegan refreshments! Also please let me know if any of you are interested in going to the protest so I can send out some information. Thank you very much!!
Summer S.
user 14257330
Costa Mesa, CA
Post #: 5
Yes! I have seen "The Cove" and been active in this movement as well. We can definitely organize a PAWA event for the protest at the end of August. The more details you can email me about it in advance: glittrgrl6@aol.com the better. Let's plan on it though. And if you host a screening, we will also promote that. Let me know via email as soon as possible. Thanks!

Summer