The Portland Artists Social Guild Message Board › :: First Meet Notes ~ Next Meet Info ::
San Diego, CA
The Portland Painter Meetup embarked on her maiden voyage last Wednesday
with members Cynthia, Jimmy, Larry, Devin with his lovely wife, and myself.
We're off to a great start!Cynthia shared four of her smallest(24x36) brightly colored, yet darkly narrative, figurative oil paintings; Jimmy shared drawings from his recent visits to Europe, figurative studies, and a taste of his animation work; Devin shared his expressive culture and religion-inspired textured acrylic works, and I, well, you'll have to attend the next meet to see.
1) Cynthia shares a call for drawing entries at The North Bank Artists Gallery for "Drawing Attention" Submission is $25. They are 1 of 6 galleries in the Vancouver Art District. Another, the Sixth Street Gallery, is having a show in March called "ILL: meant to provide catharsis & open dialogue for people who live with illness". Artists may submit up to 3 pieces in any medium for jury. Deadline is Feb. 5 @ 5pm with a $20 jury fee.
2) Jimmy suggests our group consider choosing a different theme each month. I think this is a great idea, to see the varied interpretations on a subject, object, or idea. He is also the first to mention Field Trips.
3) Devin would like to see the group grow to a position of running a co-op gallery. Me too.
Devin also suggests an online gallery. Any interested Web Designers?
4) I collected $7.00 toward the $12/mo Meetup.com fees. I'll keep a tally and hopefully we'll have a surplus to put toward the next six-month installment.
- Art Movie Nights - hosted by members, watch DVDs about artists or dealing w/art subjects
- Group outings to area art museums for sketching original paintings
- Pair-Up for Portrait Painting; take turns painting one another
- Plein Air outings at gardens, parks, non-traditional sites
- Group outings to Hipbone Studio and other Life Drawing/Painting venues
- Group visits to artist studios
4th Sundays @ 1pm
The overall member vote by poll and email showed
Sunday afternoons to be a most agreeable meet time.
The outline for our second meet is studio time at
Devin's home in North Portland where space is aplenty.
Thank you, Devin!
Let's get this rolling!
As always, feel free to contact me with your ideas and inquiries!
The Portland Painter Meetup Group
Edited by Michelle on Feb 3, 2008 12:57 AM