David H.
PostCarbonDesign
Oxford, ME
Post #: 111
My grapes are ripe, I think they're Concords, but no way of telling since they have been here longer than I. Any ideas fo them?
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 51
If they've been there a long time, they are almost definitely a concord or concord-cross of some kind - are they sort of small fruits? They are not the best for wine, but they make excellent jam and jelly! Here's a pretty good recipe:

http://www.thisoldhou...­
David H.
PostCarbonDesign
Oxford, ME
Post #: 112
There are pictures of them here-
http://www.flickr.com...­
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 211
Lisa and anyone else who knows, I'm wondering if I should prune our October 2006 planted grape vine now. Last fall I cut out everything except the two largest main stems which had reached the "ceiling" of the grape trellis.

I just read Sheila Otto in her Backyard Berry Book -- "If the trunk reached its expected height during the first season (I believe it did), ) retain an appropriate number of side shoots for the training system you have chosen. Remove any excess shoots as they develop. Also continue to remove flower clusters..."

I'm behind on this task since there are lots of baby grape clusters are all over last year's main vine. So should I now cut out all except the main side shoots? Kind of like pruning those receiving less sun because of the overlap?
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 212
My question still holds. But I thought I'd mention this. A friend who's Lebanese came for lunch yesterday. When she saw our grape vine (the one planted October 2006) she asked to have grape leaves to stuff.

Why of course! Why haven't I thought about this before? I have loved stuffing grape leaves in the past, -- sold in brine at the Model Market.
Actually I DID think about it last summer when I was picking off the Japanese beetles, but it didn't penetrate that I need to pick them before the JB do!! Duh!
Anyway I just picked a bunch now. Good info here: http://groups.google....­
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 453
Hi Elaine. Dave has kind of inherited the pruning jobs here and his first reaction was "don't prune now." We prune before they break dormancy BUT, having said that...we do "pinch off" laterals from the lower parts of the vine to encourage growth further along the vines and we're doing that now. Just not major pruning. We are also planning to make stuffed grape leaves!!!
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 196
Those do look like concords (Vitis labrusca). Vitis riparia and Vitis aestivalis are also possible in Maine. Wild grapes have not been studied that much and there are many species. Hydridization is possible too so knowing exactly what you have may be impossible.
Merry & Burl H.
BeMerry
Portland, ME
Post #: 53
Thanks for the recipe for grape jelly, Lisa. You are always on the ball (ouch, I just got the pun!)
Send the stuffed grapeleaf one along too. We should have a get-together just to exchange recipes for everything we're growing. Burl and I would be happy to host it as a social get-together this summer or fall. I know the schedule is getting super-full--a great tribute to you.

Blessings, Merry
A former member
Post #: 157
I make delicious stuffed grape leaves, I have developed my own recipe but it is similar to this:

Dolmas

8 ounces grape leaves, in brine (about 40-45 leaves)
1/2 cup olive oil , divided
2 cups cooked long grain rice
4 green onions or scallions, finely chopped
1 small red or white onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup fresh chopped mint
1 tablespoon zest of lemon
Salt to taste
1/2 cup pine nuts, finely chopped
Juice of 1 lemon

Preparation:
The Dolmas Recipe is not difficult but it does take some time.

Start by draining the grape leaves and placing them in a large heat-proof bowl. Pour just enough boiling water over the leaves to cover and let them soak for about 20 minutes. Drain again and rinse under cold running water.

In the meantime, heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil in a medium skillet. Add the onions and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and add the rice, mint, lemon zest, salt to taste and pine nuts. Mix thoroughly; making sure the rice is well-coated with oil.

Assembling the Dolmas:

To fill the grape leaves, spread out one grape leaf in front of you, vein side up and stem end toward you. Place about 2 teaspoons of the rice mixture in the center, fold stem end over the filling, bring the sides of the leaf toward the center and roll tightly, forming a cylinder. Repeat until all the filling in the Dolmas recipe is used.

Cooking Instructions:

Place the Dolmas close together and seam side down in a large skillet, in a single layer, if possible. If not, separate the layers with extra grape leaves.

Drizzle the lemon juice and the remaining olive oil over the Dolmas and add boiling water to cover. Cover the pan tightly and simmer for 1 hour. Let the parcels cool in the liquid, then transfer them to a serving platter.

Serve at room temperature. Makes about 40 to 45 appetizers.

I use less onion, but I do use more mint and an equal amount of chopped dill. If you don't have enough young leaves and must use some older ones, cut part of the center vein out. Also, when I cook my rice I use 1 cup rice to 1 1/2 cup water rather than 2 cups, otherwise the rice can get gooey from too much liquid. It sounds like a lot of work, but you'd be surprised how fast it goes.

EDIT Also, I bake them rather than cook them on the stovetop, though in the summer it would make more sense to cook them in a cast irom skillet rather than turn the oven on--unless of course you were cooking other things.
Penelope
user 5846522
Portland, ME
Post #: 45
My grapes are ripe, I think they're Concords, but no way of telling since they have been here longer than I. Any ideas fo them?

I would like to taste some grapes.

I would like to barter but you probably have everything I do.

I planted 2 concord vines about 3 weeks ago. They have not yet taken off in a big way but look healthy.