A former member
Post #: 159
I understand that it is quite easy to start your own plants from cuttings, though I haven't tried it. My mother told me that "in the old days" a whole rail car load of grapes would be brought to town and the people would make their own wine. This would have been people of Slovenian decent then living in northern Minnesota, so I would guess that they had grown their own grapes in Slovenia but were unable to grow grapes in the cold northern Minnesota climate. So much knowledge has been (almost) lost.
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 213
Thanks for the advice Lisa! Though I didn't say it I was really reluctant to prune them NOW!! Thanks for the tip too about pinching the lower laterals! Makes better sense than trying to steer them away from grabbing onto the low bush blueberries.

Love sharing recipes too! In fact last Saturday I made a suggestion to Seth (I think it was) who brought that luscious dip made with water soaked sunflower seeds and almonds: Why not start a "Recipe Sharing" thread that we can readily check out anytime!

This reminds me, Lisa -- I really appreciate the addition of the Search feature for our Message board.

Great idea Merry, -- that social for recipe sharing!
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 200
I know someone we could probably visit in Litchfield that can give the inside skinny on all aspects of grapes. Jerry Rodman has a huge vineyard and grows more species of grapes than most anyone. He has a hillside on Pleasant Pond that looks like it should be in New York State. I know him very well. We trained together in martial arts for about ten years.

There are a number of commercial vineyards in the midcoast area. They all know Jerry.

David
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 455
David, great idea. That would be a great field trip for us during the harvest (September?). Maybe you could mention it to him if the opportunity arises and I could follow up.
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 216
Yes!! I'd sign up for that field trip!
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 208
I'd love a class on orchard maintenance...pruning/training of trees, berries and cane fruit.

That might be more than one meeting though.

To be honest, the pics I have seen don't quite jibe for me. I pruned my grapes planted 5+ years ago for the FIRST time back in mid March....and probably over pruned them. Forget about training the things....sigh....and that's one reason I bought 3 more grapes...in hopes that I can train these right from the start.
A former member
Post #: 166
Same here on the grape pruning. I have a book with pictures but when I go out and actually look at the vines I feel like a total dope and hardly know where to start. I got away with that for a few years, but eventually my vines were somewhat out of control. I hope to get more permanent beds started here in Alna in my new gardens and put grapes in next year, and learn how to prune properly.
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 202
Hi all,

I have contacted Jerry Rodman and he would be open to having a visit to his vineyard. He thought later in the year would be better. Jerry breeds and hybridizes many types of grapes. He actually makes wine by the single bottle when he has created a new promising hybrid (and has only one vine). When you see the size of his operation, it's hard to believe it is a hobby. He really sells no products. I know quite a few people have gotten plants or cuttings from him.

It sounds like saving a date sometime in September would be good.

David
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 219
Yes I hope we can get a grape education date set up too! By now our 9 grade galvanized wire has been strung over the deck (but away from the house) and the vines look very happy.