The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Homemade Dishwashing Liquid

Homemade Dishwashing Liquid

Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 2,159
What can you substitute for the lemons?

http://www.slowfood.c...­
Derek L.
user 14490127
Portland, ME
Post #: 14
Lemons and other citrus have volatile organic compounds in the peel including toluene.

A good trick to amaze children is to pinch the peel toward an open flame and watch the sparks and little blue flames...

These compounds probably give this soap the ability to de-grease dishes etc. There is a product for taking engine grease off you hands based on oranges

I wonder what another source of these compounds might be - other than citrus
Greg M.
user 3541854
Acton, ME
Post #: 330
Potted lemons!

I know that's not exactly in the spirit of what you were looking for Lisa, but citrus are pretty easy going potted plants for growing outdoors until they need to be brought in in the fall. Lots of good tips online for growing them.

That might have to hold us over until we crazy hybridizers complete our cold hardy citrus breeding goals. I'm expecting some good things in just 5-20 years! Don't rule citrus out of your long term succession planswink
Anne G.
user 12559531
Portland, ME
Post #: 2
What about rhubarb in place of lemons?
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 874
This is pretty expensive dishwashing liquid and I'm wondering if adding that much salt to my septic system is a good thing. If I'm estimating right you will only get a little more than a litre with almost 1/2 lb. of salt. That's a lot of salt to use over and over.

David
Jim M
user 8311780
Auburn, ME
Post #: 70
Thanks Greg.
I have three grapefruit trees (had a lemon too, which I sold) which do well on the sun porch. Have not put them outside in recent years. Will research further the possibility of getting fruit.

Wondering about the citrus leaves, as a toluene source. Also pine or rosemary as alternatives to lemon.

Ran across interesting stuff on plants and toluene. Pines and sunflowers releasing toluene when stressed - even before the stressor is apparent to humans. Maybe that's what the insects hone in on.

Toluene is one of the VOCs of concern in paints and other products. Houseplants pull them from the air.

David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 875
As for Lisa's point I certainly agree. Using relatively expensive food to clean dishes while discussing the food insecure on another thread? A disconnect? What about making soap with wood ash?

David
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 2,161
David, would live to try soap from wood ash. Anyone doing this that can share their method?
Greg M.
user 3541854
Acton, ME
Post #: 334
Jim, are your grapefruit seedlings? If so they'll need some tricks to try to get them to fruit for you. Citrus reach maturity and start to flower only when the wood has reached a certain "bud count" (the plant biochemically keeps track of the number of nodes produced). This keeps the plant from trying to produce fruit when it's too small a tree. Grapefruit needs to be a very large tree and so seedlings never reach their bud count in a container. The root system just isn't large enough to support getting it there. I know one potted grapefruit that is large and beautiful and over 30 yrs old without reaching maturity. Best way to get to mature wood is through grafting a scion from a mature tree. Maybe grafting the highest branches of an old seedling back down onto the root system will help get the bud count there after a few grafting cycles and many years, but it's much more straightforward to get some proven mature scionwood. Too bad as grapefruit is easy to start from seed and the seeds are typically clones of the mother (nucellar embryology) so the fruit quality would be great.
Greg M.
user 3541854
Acton, ME
Post #: 335
Anyone ever try washing with saponins from plants like mock orange, new jersey tea, or soapwart? Not sure if they're ok for dishes but people have used them for clothes washing. Something I'm meaning to try someday, but still busy working on growing more food at the moment.