The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Composting in Portland

Composting in Portland

David Homa
PostCarbonDesign
Oxford, ME
Post #: 232
Send an Email Post a Greeting
I ran into a fellow aspiring environmental planner today. He lives on Winter Street in Portland. He and his wife have just moved to town from Blue Hill. He asked if there were any local gardens that would take his scraps or methods for composting in the city. He was wondering if some one would be interested in his weekly amount of compostable material. I told him that I would make a post on our board to find out his choices.
Thanks,
Dave
Deb
user 4397109
New Gloucester, ME
Post #: 3
Hi Dave,
I'm a little confused about what your friend is asking. Is he looking to get, or get rid off, compostable stuff?
Deb
Sue McCormick
user 3284483
South Portland, ME
Post #: 7
I bet that he could get in touch with one of the community gardens. There is one right around the corner on Clark St. I know they compost. Johnny Affleck is co-managing the Community garden at Bayside, I'm sure he would be glad to take it. If all else fails, I work on the corner of State and Danforth and bring home compostables every day from work. I would be happy to be in touch with them.
David Homa
PostCarbonDesign
Oxford, ME
Post #: 233
He would like to get rid of it, rather than throwing it in the trash.
Lisa Fernandes
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 172
There's an idea: a compost exchange....some people want to get rid of their scraps and some people want more for their compost piles...
Deb
user 4397109
New Gloucester, ME
Post #: 4
Compost exchange ... great idea Lisa!! I work at MMC and your comment got me thinking. Plan to talk to the kitchen people at MMC this week .... amazing amounts of food scraps there ... maybe some can be composted by willing folks instead of going in to the garbage.
Deb
Lisa Fernandes
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 173
Back when I worked in the muncipal solid waste field, we were working on helping a couple of small business people set up food scrap collection businesses ... collecting from restaurants, institutions, etc. There are alot of hurdles but it ended up working really well and the businesses collected $ twice: once when they picked up the waste (but it was cheaper than putting it in the dumpster) and again when they sold the compost!

Anyone looking to start a business? Large-scale vermicomposting?
Merry & Burl Hall
BeMerry
Portland, ME
Post #: 12
The folks at Winter Cache might be interested or have some great ideas. Contact Margot at wintercache@riseup.net. Even a specially set aside trash can with some ventilation holes and drainage at the bottom for the compost tea will work in the city, as will vermiculture in a kitchen drawer--again, fitted with some drainage. (I found out about the drainage the hard, sad way by drowning some worms.)

I interviewed Adam Tomash and June Zellers of Avant Gardens, a small 1.25 acre suburban farm/homestead raising 90% of the fruits and veggies they eat. They have an innovative use for compost. They build their hoophouse atop a 4-5 foot pile of "cooking" compost in order to start their seedlings outdoors after Mayday. The heat from the compost warms the seedlings from below. (Makes me think of "Inch by Inch, Row by Row...") How do they get a pile so big in a suburban setting? They put a sign out front in the fall, saying "We gratefully accept your raked leaves."

This started me thinking that a compost pile inside during the winter might moderate the temperature in say a humanure outhouse, a chicken or rabbit hutch, or a greenhouse.

Blessings, Merry
A former member
Post #: 83
I looking at organizing a community based 'rural energy coop' to collect and digest the manure from 4 small dairy farms...somewhat common in Europe, but not the U.S.

Given my permanent 'culture' of fruit flies about the composter; I'd think a neighborhood composting facility would be better than sending organic food wastes and other organic material to another household.

Community gardens are great resources; starting your own community garden is even better. Why doesn't USM have a community garden for the neighborhood or the population of homeless people in that area?

There was a free compost maker in yesterday's TIMES RECORD..It's probably gone by now, or I'd post the phone #.

Why doesn't this person make their own compost or contact a neighbor who gardens?
David Homa
PostCarbonDesign
Oxford, ME
Post #: 236
He has just recently moved(1 month) to portland from blue hill, and thought he would ask me about the choices he has. I told him some of the options and would like to contribute to a community garden if they'll have his materials.