The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Endangered Foods of New England

Endangered Foods of New England

A former member
Post #: 206
Elaine, all tomatoes are cultivars in that certain qualities have been selected and just those seeds replanted. Hybrids are different in that they were hand pollinated using pollen from two different plants. The seeds will not come true to the parent plant. It is probably a better idea to not use hybrids, but rather to save seeds from your best plants. What tomato varieties did you plant?
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 265
Merry and all,

I'm not sure how early sales begin at Medomak High School but since my son is in baseball, I will certainly be driving by it most every day so I will keep you posted. I think the program is run by Matthew Lash Sr. (Jr. works at Medomak too). The plant projects are done mostly by students as course work. The fact that they sell is not well known as they can't advertise. That said, a number of landscape designers and other similar professionals know about it and buy there for their businesses saving big money. They have a lot of vegetables and flowers as well as the chestnut trees. I'm not sure what the status is of the heirloom projects in terms of sales.

David