The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › How to Have a Bee-Friendly Yard

How to Have a Bee-Friendly Yard

Jesse S.
user 29709632
Harrison, ME
Post #: 71
Last couple years I've focused on pollinator habitat in my plantings and observing the insects preferences. One of the simplest things that's been successful for me has been to let strips of field and orchard rows just 'be'-not mow-and the goldenrods and asters that bloom in those sections get plenty of attention in the late summer and fall. Those overgrown areas also provide nesting spots for overwintering. It was amazing to see how many wasps were clamoring over the asters on warm fall days. Viburnums, dogwoods, meadowsweet, willows are shrubs that are quite popular. Buckwheat is a great summer cover crop that really hums, and comes into bloom quickly after sowing. This year's plantings for the bees includes various amelanchiers, cornus mas, button bush, mountain mint, anise hyssop, korean licorice mint, clovers and other perennial herbs. Now I need a bee pond!
David H.
PostCarbonDesign
Oxford, ME
Post #: 471
http://thehoneyexchan...­

I will be teaching a second class of ...
Bee Friendly Landscapes using Permaculture Principles & Design with David Homa
Friday March 1st, 6-8:00 pm

Learn approaches for creating bee friendly habitats that are supportive, while also creating abundance for people. Topics to be discussed: Pollinator gardens, Native/wild habitat preservation, planning for spring to fall bloom cycles, watering holes for bees, low impact yardscaping, plant polycultures, and bee medicine plantings. Instructor: David Homa Class fee $20.

Classroom attendance is limited to 10 students. Please visit the store or call us at 207-773-9333.
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 2,277
Thanks for resurrecting this thread. I was thrown off a bit by the dates of the posts at the beginning of the thread and seeing dear sweet Winnie's name. She passed away this past year and was a true friend of all the pollinators.