The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Permaculture Resources / Web Sites Books / Pls Post

Permaculture Resources / Web Sites Books / Pls Post

A former member
Post #: 10
Hi Amy,

Thanks for joining the group. I went to the site and did some reading--interesting people! We have been looking for property in the Alna area and are waiting for just the right place to open up. I would like to have a few chickens again, but I have to admit that I never developed much affection for them. It was interesting though--we had Rhode Island Reds and crossed them with some sort of "heavy" that was white. We got some very, very beautiful roosters out of that cross! Since those old days of hobby farming I have learned to tie flies, so I would like to try a few flys using my own chicken feathers.

I used to have rabbits too, and did love them dearly. The night that I found this site I was surfing around and happened to find a site where the people were keeping their rabbits on the ground and the bunnies burrowed into the dirt--I'd like to try that as I find it hard to keep them in a cage.

Amy or Lisa, have you heard of "perennial grains"? I ran across the word today and did find it on the web and thought I'd ask about it here. I almost started a new thread but hesitated thinking that it is so common that everybody knows about it--but me! biggrin

Keep in touch!
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 24
Dear Amy,

Thanks so much for your posting. I found it worthwhile to spend time reading in the sacred lands website. In fact I forwarded this gem of an article I found there to several of my peace email groups: "You May Be An Anarchist And Not Know It." http://www.sacredland...­

Thanks a lot,
Elaine
A former member
Post #: 1
Mary, not everybody knows about perennial grains, so how bout you inform us....gotta love a perennial cover crop too, all the better if we can eat the grain and not have to reseed each spring. Food, erosion control, weed free straw, bio mass ...sounds good to me. Grains, definatly missing from your average garden(especially ours), though we have been wanting to try Quinoi (sp?) pretty bad. did millet a few years back, 5'x5' filled a large mason jar, bit I had a hard time separatring the seed from the chaff !
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 2
I would like to know about perennial grains too. Especially the one's the deer won't decimate.

David Spahr
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 3
Oh yeah, I have a bit of a turkey infestation as well, so perennial's that turkeys ingore would be good too. I realize this may be too much to ask.

My wild highbush blueberries (which I cultivate) took a hammering last summer from turkeys and other birds and animals. I had less problem when I had a dog.

Anyway, I have a new plan.

David Spahr
A former member
Post #: 12
Well Dave, as far as having a dog to scare off the turkeys goes, in a few months I will have some little "Goldendoodles" for sale--with discounts to forum members! :D. In the meantime I am putting up with cotton fields of puppy fur all over my little home, and the fact that little one year old little Maya seems to love (and jump up on--to my horror) everyone she meets--which could include turkeys as far as I know...

I did do a little research on perennial grains. I will start a new thread on it so that others can add what they know. Certainly the less we wound our Mother, the better.
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 18
My new website is on it's correct url now at
Mushroom-Collecting.com Now it can be bookmarked.

David
A former member
Post #: 27
Here is the website of people who are doing research into perennial grain crops:

http://www.landinstit...­
A former member
Post #: 3
It's been a while, but I suppose by definition it's always appropriate to post on perennial grains.

Does anyone have any first-hand knowledge of triga, a perennial wheat-like cereal, aka intermediate wheat grass? It's been around for a long time, and I suppose there are reasons why it isn't commercially viable, but they might not be relevant here.

Googling "'perennial grain' triga" gets some information, including possible seed sources and an intriguing Rodale article.

Bill Lee
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 210
Bill, I hadn't heard about it but it does look really interesting. Would love to experiment with it in baking....

http://www.rodaleinst...­