deb k.
user 8829588
Portland, ME
Post #: 9
One of my cousin's chickens (RI Reds), has begun dropping what appears to be premature eggs in the yard (looks like a thinly veiled yolk), and I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice/info? Could it be some nutritional deficit? They are free-ranging most of the day, and getting organic feed. These are new chickens (they have had them about a month), and a new endeavor as well, so we are perplexed.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
Karl S.
karlschatz
Gray, ME
Post #: 30
Hi Deb,
What are they feeding them?
It might be possible that it's a calcium deficiency -- that the chicken isn't getting enough calcium to form the shell of the egg. They can try adding some pulverized oyster shells to the feed, or feed a layer specific pellet that would have calcium in the feed.
Tree
user 4058763
Hollis Center, ME
Post #: 308
Hi,
Yes, it sounds like a shell-less egg. Point-of-lay chickens often have abnormal eggs. This is also when you might get double-yolked eggs.
Shell-less eggs can be a pretty serious problem because the pullet has nothing solid to push on getting the egg out, and so the egg can get 'impacted'...or the egg can break inside her. I've had a few birds with this issue, but nothing serious resulted, so they can just keep an eye on the girl and adjust the diet to include calcium as Karl suggested.

Tree
PS: Let us know if the bird shows any other symptoms. :)