The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Ecovillage Core Group Starting

Ecovillage Core Group Starting

Lyra E.
user 9154175
Freeport, ME
Post #: 6
Hi Mary, Merry and Diane!

Yes, Mary - I think communities like this would be a helpful environment for people considering the care of elders, which I think needs to have a lot of support for both elders and caregivers. And, how wonderful for elders to be around children in a multi-generational community!

I do remember our meeting at Sivananda, Diane and hope you can make it as this evolves.

Finally, about keeping to very low costs - that is the challenge and so many variables are in that consideration. Cost of land is the reason we have left our search in MA. and are now looking in Maine (besides the fact that there is just so much great stuff happening). But, building net zero (as the good folks at Belfast Ecovillage are doing) doesn't come cheaply. A lot depends on the skills of the various ecovillagers. People with building skills could potentially save a lot of money by hands-on home construction. Some communities build expensive Common Houses. On the other hand, if there are enough skilled people to lead the way, a community could build their own large yurt together for their common space - adding creative soul to their building and saving financially. There needs to be some level of financial well-being on the part of members to attempt this kind of project, which (even with skills and do-it-yourself building) still needs to go through permits and legal steps that involve money and almost certainly professional ($$$$) assistance.

And for the groups of dedicated people who have found the means and the skills and the will to persist, the results are worthwhile on many levels.........

Thanks for listening - got a little rambling there!!!
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 2,167
Good conversation here! I am really interested in an event or good discussion about what "elements" make a functional neighborhood or village that can be dynamic but sustain over a longer period of time. I know that lots of people are already looking at this kind of thing, but I feel like it would be useful not just for those who want to build a new intentional community, but also for those of us who are looking at "adapting in place" (i.e. seeing what is possible in our existing built neighborhoods). If there's energy around this, we could organize a round table or panel for the fall. Lots of folks to draw from in our region.
Lyra E.
user 9154175
Freeport, ME
Post #: 7
I like that idea - and see so many parallel ways that elements of the intentional community movement and groups like Portland Permaculture and the concept of adapting in place are forging very similar tracts. There are challenges and advantages to each: building new sustainably designed land steward communities is not a "cure" but one choice - and an alternative to "for-profit" development sprawls eating up old farmlands and open space. Adapters-in-place get to model transformation in existing communities in more urban areas. My personal preference is toward a bit more rural (but close to a progressive larger community like Portland or Brunswick), having a neighborhood-in-place where projects and social gatherings are steps away and our shared efforts (community meals, car-share, composting, gardens, even community solar & heating systems, like the wood furnace at Cobb Hill Ecovillage that provides winter heat for all their houses) shrink our "footprint" beyond what we can do individually. And many of these same things can be accomplished in an urban environment where you can also raise the awareness the surrounding community. It's all good and it is, to me, about that "Zone zero", cultivating it on a group level.
Arlene
user 12831116
Union, ME
Post #: 2
Hi Lyra,

I am interested in attending the meeting on Friday. Will you please send details?

Thanks!
Arlene
A former member
Post #: 2
Hi Lyra,

I'm curious to know how the meeting went, and if there's to be any follow up?

Thanks, Diane
A former member
Post #: 1
I am very interested in this ecovillage concept. I have some experience in community organizing, have meet with and visited with others involved with shared community living, including one space in Madison, WI. This concept has been calling to me for some time and I would like further explore and work with others to make this feasible.
Lyra E.
user 9154175
Freeport, ME
Post #: 8
We are planning to have a meeting again sometime in September and I will be sure to post the date and location here when that is arranged. Peter and I met with Jon Hogue at the first meeting and had a wonderful evening, connecting on so many levels with our aspirations for a land-based community. Later, after lots of e-mails etc., we found a property to go investigate (not appropriate), but it was a chance to meet Jon's partner Hannah and their little son of 6 weeks, Ashtee. There are several Odonata members who are still with usafter abandoning our land search efforts in expensive MA and moving the search to Maine. We would love to grow our group and it would be great to find the right property SOON! I am going to work on our criteria list and share it on this site so that we can spread the word and make connections that will lead to some promising properties. It is always wonderful to hear from people who share the passion for ecovillage/intentional community!!