The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › jerusalem artichoke

jerusalem artichoke

Jesse S.
user 29709632
Harrison, ME
Post #: 57
I've been growing sunchokes for a few years now, and always thought that the flower heads were sterile, that these were propagated by their tubers only. This fall I've been watching sparrows and goldfinches foraging in one of the patches and they were obviously getting something from the spent flower heads, so I did a little dissection and discovered that there actually are a few small, black, sunflower-looking seeds in some of the heads. Has anyone grown these by starting from seed? I plan to start harvesting the heads to sow around where I want this useful perennial to naturalize.
Jesse M.
user 25646832
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 16
We've started a patch from cuttings this year. They're doing great, about 4 feet tall, and just one flowered. Was wondering how many to leave behind for propagation, because we certainly want to eat them as well!
Sue M.
user 3284483
South Portland, ME
Post #: 140
No matter how many I harvest, I always have more the following year! I actually have to pull them up because they invade where I don't want them to. So to answer your question, eat away!
Greg M.
user 3541854
Acton, ME
Post #: 385
Mine jumped 30' across my garden last year! Something started eating them...I'm thinking chipmunks...and cached them along with chinese artichoke tubers in the center of my vegetable garden. Now both are spreading there. Interested to see where those little gardeners will spread my tuber crops next.

I haven't ever tried growing them from seed, but I've read that some selections won't set fertile seeds while others will.