The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › global warming is great for Maine organic agriculture

global warming is great for Maine organic agriculture

A former member
Post #: 28
We have to acknowledge that global warming has been very kind to Maine Agriculture---whether the increase in the 'weight' of the biomass or the longer growing season or the ability to sustain plant varieties that could barely be grown outdoors; we've been blessed!

Center for Global Food Issues. actually sing the praises of higher CO2 levels and say,

. . . a warmer planet has beneficial effects on food production. It results in longer growing seasons ? more sunshine and rainfall ? while summertime high temperatures change little. And a warmer planet means milder winters and fewer crop-killing frosts . . . Infrared satellite readings show that the Earth has been getting greener since 1982, thanks apparently to increased rainfall and CO2. Worldwide, vegetative activity generally increased by 6.17 percent between 1982 and 1999 ? despite extended cloudiness due to the 1991 eruption of Mount Pinatubo and other well-publicized environmental stresses . . . When dinosaurs walked the earth (about 70 to 130 million years ago), there was from five to ten times more CO2 in the atmosphere than today. The resulting abundant plant life allowed the huge creatures to thrive. . . . Based on nearly 800 scientific observations around the world, a doubling of CO2 from present levels would improve plant productivity on average by 32 percent across species.

A former member
Post #: 2
While on the surface that looks logical, I have had a rough two years. In the last two spring seasons we've had so much rain that it has been impossible to plant on time and keep your seedlings alive. It may just be a question of adaptation or this may be a short term trend and not a long one. Regardless, temperature isn't the only thing that will nix a good harvest.
A former member
Post #: 29
I have been an organic gardener for most of my life. My wife & I moved to Maine from Washington, D.C. in 1976. I gardened in D.C.--Tomatoes are weeds!; and in Maine.

I've found that the growing season in Maine is now long enough to double crop; and warm enough for me to have ripe peppers....yup, red, ripe peppers...yellow, chili, etc.

My high bush blueberry crop is fantastic...about a pint every day...they just keep producing.

I had a 'tower' of Romano flat beans, and had them every day for about two months...such abundance!

On the other hand neither my Cortland or N. Spy apple trees are holding their pippins and this past fall, I gathered no apples.

Your experience should be shared; since the warming of Maine has been going on for a while now...we moved here 30 years ago because I was convinced the climate would be warmer and moister....pea pods anyone?

I wish MOFGA would get rid of its P.C. view of 'global warming' and start advising us on how to make the best of it while it lasts.

I think it takes a bit of ingenuity and risks on plant varieties which grow in warmer climes.

Have you started your crop indoors yet?
A former member
Post #: 3
I haven't started my indoors ones yet, no. I don't have a greenhouse at this point so what I have to do is balance sharing my living space with the plants. Last year and the year before I was eager and way ahead of the game, and lost most of what I put out to the brutal rains. This season I plan on doing a mounded row or circle mound and hopefully that will address the drainage problems.

I agree that its important to adapt early! I got beautiful green peppers last year, and I got them by putting all those plants in a raised bed. Yum yum!

Amy
A former member
Post #: 13
I did visit the Center for Global Food Issues website, and I am not at all surprised that they would be singing praises of higher CO2 levels--these people are not friends of the earth. Here is their link:

http://www.cgfi.org/...­

I have not yet started any gardening activities. I do need to go out and spray the peach and apricot trees to prevent peach leaf curl if we have a cold damp spring. I have not pruned the grapes yet either.

I had a very poor garden last year. Like Amy I have drainage problems and couldn't get plants/seeds in till very late. I've been meaning to work on raised beds for years...
A former member
Post #: 14
I'd like to offer another link that's handy to have on hand, Exxon Secrets:

http://www.exxonsecre...­

Quote from this site:

FACTSHEET: Hudson Institute,
DETAILS
Hernan Kahn Center 5395 Emerson Way Indianapolis, IN 46226
Phone: 317-545-1000
Fax: 317-545-9639

Hudson Institute is a conservative think tank that runs a number of research centers including the Center for Global Food Issues, which promotes pesticides and biotechnology.

In its value statement, Hudson declares, "We demonstrate commitment to free markets and individual responsibility, confidence in the power of technology to assist progress, respect for the importance of culture and religion in human affairs, and determination to preserve America's national security." (hudson.org) Dennis Avery, Hudson's primary critic of organic produce, also serves as the resident global warming skeptic. Recent articles by Avery include, "Does Carbon Dioxide Really Affect Temperatures?" and "New Science Says Global Warming Will Be Moderate."
A former member
Post #: 4
That last article just makes me cringe. Its like watching the real world 1984 unroll before my very eyes. Don't like the science? Re-write it!
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 26
Dear Mary and all,

Francis and I are total newcomers to growing fruit trees which we planted in the fall, so we have everything to learn.

I noticed Mary, you said you had to "spray the peach and apricot trees."

I suspect I'm being naive in thinking that if I plant this spring the kinds of "guilds" under or near each of the 8 trees we planted I won't have to use a spray. Does the method of attracting pests with other plantings work or not? Or maybe some of the time?

Secondly, what should we do with our young fruit tree saplings this spring besides try the guilding method -- which is why I'm reading like mad so I can plant by early spring the supports the fruit trees need?

We've got 1 sour cherry, 2 sweet cherry, 2 peach, 2 plum and 1 apple tree. I can give specifics on these if anyone needs it to give us advice.

Thanks a lot,
Elaine

Elaine
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 4
These folks can't be trusted. This is a conservative "think tank". Think tanks of all ilks are political bullshit spinners and nothing more. If Exxon gives you all your money what are you going to say?

I s'pose we can all jump on the "save the world with pesticides and plastics" bus.

Oh Dang! I just missed the bus! Hey wait! .....Oh shoot, It's gone.... too late...... Maybe next time.

What if it doesn't come by again? Probably won't. Geeezz... too bad!

Anyway, why be a real scientist when being a political clown pays so much better.

It's sunspots folks! All these cars and smokestacks have nothing to do with it. More CO2 is better! If we really want to save the world we can encourage all those Chinese on their bicycles to start driving cars too. What's a little sulphur dioxide here and there?

I know rectal-cranial inversion when I see it.

=========

Director, Center for Global Food Issues, Hudson Institute
Advisor, American Council on Science and Health

Avery, a supporter of biotechnology, pesticides, irradiation, factory farming and free trade, considers himself an expert on an impressive range of subjcets, including "agriculture, environment, world hunger issues, biotechnology and pesticides, trade, and water issues." In addition to his self-professed areas of expertse, Avery comments frequently on global warming science and policy.

Avery is the author of Saving the Planet with Pesticides and Plastic(Hudson Institute, 1995). Avery is the editor of Global Food Quarterly, the newsletter of the Center for Global Food Issues and writes a nationally syndicated weekly column for the financial newswire "Bridge News". Avery's article, "What's Wrong with Global Warming?" was published in the August 1999 issue of Reader's Digest. (http://www.cgfi.org/a...­) Avery is responsible for the erroneous and often reported "fact" that organically grown food is many times more likely to cause E. coli poisoning than conventionally grown food. For more information, view a compilation of articles at http://www.gmwatch.or...­
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 5
Actually, around here it has not been kind at all. My local farmstands have struggled with too much water in the spring to plant early, inconsistent temperatures, changes in pest profiles, too much wind and other related problems.