The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Harvesting Autumn Olive Berries

Harvesting Autumn Olive Berries

Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 2,217
Many of you will recognize these berries as they grow pretty prolifically in many parts of Maine, largely dispersed by birds. The berries are attractive and look like they have glitter on them. Anyway, there are loads of recipes out there for using these berries but one of our meetup members harvested a bag for me and I used the steamer-juicer (miraculous tool, by the way!) to extract the juice...tart but very tasty. Mixed with a touch of raw honey it's pretty amazing. Lots of people use this fruit in jams, fruit leathers, etc. Very nutritious.

Now is the time to harvest in southern Maine!

A few photos: http://www.meetup.com...­
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 901
Autumn olive can be quite palateable although tart and sometimes astringent. Like choke cherries, not all that you find will be the same. Test the bushes you want to pick. Usually any you find will seem unpalateable at first, but if you eat enough to really fill your mouth the flavor will grow on you. The level of astringency is more of an issue than sourness. Beaucuop sugar......

David Spahr