The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Christmas tree options

Christmas tree options

John S.
tlots
Scarborough, ME
Post #: 17

I've seen services where you can rent a live tree. I am interested in buying a live tree that we can keep and plant. Does anyone know of any local places I can do this?

I have a small blue spruce (3ft) I need to move, so I was thinking of that as a last option.

Thanks,
John

Wendy
user 9298467
Old Orchard Beach, ME
Post #: 73
Check with some of the local nurseries. I know in years past I was able to find very small trees in containers and plant them in the spring. O'Donals had them several years ago.
John S.
tlots
Scarborough, ME
Post #: 18
Thanks, I just gave them a ring.

O'Donals has Norway spruce, white spruce, balsam fir, and white pine in 3-4ft and 4-5ft heights. They range in price from 89.99 to 119.99.

I learned an interesting fact from them, as well: The tree can only be inside for 3 - 4 days before it comes out of dormancy and it becomes increasingly riskier to move it back outside. It sounds like you got around this by just keeping it inside all winter?

Lynne H.
Rootsdigger
Portland, ME
Post #: 6
I bought a Dwarf Alberta Spruce at Broadway gardens for $34.00. I use it outside at the cemetery so it never comes out of dormancy. It stays there all of December and last year well into January.
If you bring it in the house keep it as cool as possible and bring it back out as soon as you can. If you have to water it make sure it is cold water and don't drown it as the dormant roots will not like to sit in water. Once outside, put it in a spot that will get NO DIRECT SUN and also out of the wind. You can also bank up some straw or bags of leaves to keep the pot from being too exposed. (we put it on the side of the house where it is pretty well protected once we get it back from the cemetery). Sun and wind can dry it out very quickly and kill it faster then the loss of dormancy. In the spring (late march at the latest) start watering it but still keep it out of direct sun until all danger of hard freeze is past. Plant it as early in the spring as possible (when the ground can be worked at least as deep as the pot size). Good luck
Wendy
user 9298467
Old Orchard Beach, ME
Post #: 74
Yes. I just kept the trees inside all winter and transplanted outside in the spring.

I will confess that, ultimately, I had to find an alternative, because I ran out of room for transplanting the trees on my property : ). And now that they're 20' tall, I probably should have found a better place for them ; ).