The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Dryad's saddle mushroom

Dryad's saddle mushroom

David Spahr
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 31
Send an Email Post a Greeting
Be on the lookout for dryad's saddle mushrooms. I found some today on my own property. They tend to grow on dead elms and other hardwoods and are often fallen trees. They are also known as pheasant back mushroom. They smell like watermelon rind. No other smells like this.

They grow very fast. Now is the time.

If you plan to saute or tempura fry then the pore layer needs to be 1/16 in thick or less or from the edges where the knife passes through very easily. This means newly emerging. Older specimens should be left alone or treated differently. The knife test is the most telling.

You can read more here.

http://mushroom-colle...­

I will be posting pics from today right after I send this or as soon as I can shake them out of my camera.

David
mushroom-collecting.com