The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Lemon Balm anyone?

Lemon Balm anyone?

Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 124
Hi Mary - I would love to get some of those plants also...I will review the list in advance of Tree coming up and perhaps organize to collect the stuff shortly thereafter???? If that's convenient for Tree...

Thanks!
Lisa
A former member
Post #: 35
My phone is 633 2576 if anyone wants to call.
David H.
PostCarbonDesign
Oxford, ME
Post #: 208
If people can wait for the June Meetup, they can pickup the lemon balm then. If you want to get it before then let me know. These herbs grow rapidly, so small this week could be big the next. Lisa if you want picked leaves now let me know, how many?
A former member
Post #: 36
Hi to all,

I haven't heard from anyone yet. As it turns out I am going to go to Agusta today to the impeach rally. I have been feeling guilty enough because I was not going to go, but the am they announced it on Ch 6 and I felt a good turnout is so important. Anyway I decided that it is my duty as an "Old Crone" smileto go. Then I unexpectedly got 2 spring cleanings and 2 cleanings to do this week (I clean cottages in the summer) and time will be very short.

I still want to offer plants, though it is getting late for some. Please call me in the evenings or leave a message here--perhaps next week? Or certainly keep me in mind for next spring.
Tree
user 4058763
Hollis Center, ME
Post #: 16
Mary,

Will the 2nd still work, for you or is that off, now?

thanks,
Tree
A former member
Post #: 37
Tree, I feel really bad to say that I think it won't work this week. A spring cleaning takes 8 hrs. minimun and as much as twice that depending on how bad the place is. Right now I am the only cleaner and besides it is good money and I need it. So I need to allow a full day Wed and Thur and Fri I will do the two other cleanings. Of course, on the other hand where there's a will there's a way...it would be good to talk with you per phone and perhaps we could work something out? I am 633 2576. But you did initally mention a second possible date next week? Some things are getting big for transplant though some would be fine. Actually I am so sorry that I did not post earlier in the first place.

As I mentioned this am, I went to the impeachment rally in Agusta today. Acutally even though my friend and I started the peace group in BB as the war was starting I have mixed feelings about protest. We have since quit the group--well that's a long story and something I struggle with. But certainly the tide has turned as far as *the people* go, but it seems our reps in congress are slow to catch up to say nothing of the White House what with Bush saying he IS following the mandate of *the people*. Sorry to do this political talk here on the forum to those that feel it is not appropriate, but in all honesty, these days I really do not know for sure what is and is not appropriate.
A former member
Post #: 14
Dear Mary, - (and the PS is for you, David),

I'm interested in everything you have to offer but was away for the 2 week permaculture course with Julia and Charles.

Now, of course as you say, it's probably too late, and I'm just too busy setting things up (like the herb spiral etc. etc. -- LOTS of projects being launched!! ) to go pick up anything anyway for this year's planting.

But I am definitely interested for the future! Once the garden and herb spiral are planted, hoop house built, front lawn paths made with sawdust and the garden part sheet-mulched at the work party at our house on July 14, we would travel to Boothbay to pick up what you have to offer unless someone nearby brings it to a meeting. So put me on the list of grateful recipients of your generosity!

By the way Francis and I are with you on the political front: Every Wednesday at 12:30 pm we hold anti-torture signs at Monument Square in Portland. The "Military Commissions Act of 2006 signed on Oct 17 virtually legalizes torture (which has been redefined), so we also feel the need to say -- "Not in our name!" (PS I'm a crone too. Would love to meet you.)

David, if you have extra lemon balm when we meet at your home on Tuesday, count us in too. Looking forward to it!

Elaine
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 46
That previous note was from me, not Francis, as you've probably noticed happens every now and then.

Elaine
A former member
Post #: 43
HI Elaine,

Yes it is getting late however there are a few things that can be dug up anytime. For a herb garden I have a variegated mint called orange mint with yellow in the leaves. I had ginger mint but didn't care for it though there may be some still coming up. I also see a little peppermint coming up. Wintergreen grows in the woods here but I don't know how well it would transplant. It sure makes a good tea--though my daughter says she can't stand the smell because it reminds her of the smell of the stuff they used to throw on the school bus floor when someone threw up.smile

I have been making mint tea and drinking two cups a day per a suggestion at the Science Daily site where they said it has been found useful for a problem that some of us crones have--the beard/mustache problem.biggrin How often I think back to years ago when I was orienting for my first job as an RN. They made all the new nurses spend a day as nursing assistants so they they would know what they did also (and I can tell you IT'S A LOT!). The aide said to me, "OK, first you go around and shave all the men. Next when you are done with that, you go around and shave all the women tongue". The "recipe": 1 tsp. dried mint per 1 cup boiling water and steep 5 to 10 minutes.

And I still have a lot of pale green, almost yellow, oregano and thyme.

I still make most of my own sausage with my home-grown herbs. You can use part chicken or even all chicken if you want.

BTW, you can start horseradish by buying a root at the grocery store--just plant it with the top at ground level. I also have an interesting plant from the radish family, rattail, that is used not as a root crop but rather the seed pods are a nice peppery addition to a stir fry or salads. It self seeds. Last year I had daikon radish and I highly recommend it. It grew to be HUGE and held up through the summer. Other than a few tomatoes I did not put a garden in this year as I may be up in Head Tide village soon with a few acres, a barn, and a pond!!!
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 47
Dear Mary,

Thank you for all your good hints! My "beard" at this point (71) consists of 2 hairs that return after every pluck. But hey, I'll try the mint tea too!

I've been wanting to thank you for the seedlings you got delivered, thanks to Winnie, to our PMPMUp group meeting at David's home two days ago. I took several of your plants, some Egyptian onions, violets (I think it was), one unknown plant, and a few others which I can't remember right now from the sheer volume of new ideas I'm putting into practice. They're on our front porch with all the other seedlings which are awaiting their garden homes.

Our garden is being delayed this summer because it's our first year setting it up permaculture style. Being away for the last 2 weeks slowed things down even more, but I know better what we're doing now.

Today Francis and I moved a lot of the imported compost to build up our large herb/veggie spiral right in the middle of our garden. I was stimied at first how to make the oval look oval in a very rectangular fenced in area (because of woodchucks.) When I realized I could use stepping stones to help me reach into the corners, that allowed me to make the paths oval too. So I'm actually reshaping the sheet mulching we did last October. Luckily it's do-able! I'm eager tomorrow to shape it into at least three mini terraces. I could go on and on but must get off this computer.

If you come to Portland sometime please come see us!

Francis and I appreciate your generosity! So thanks again!

Elaine