The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Baldwin apple 4-5' leaves attacked

Baldwin apple 4-5' leaves attacked

Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 49
Dear Friends, (From Elaine)

Having jumped in feet first with our project it's only now that I saw the leaves of our one Baldwin Apple trees covered with little bumps over them.

Neophyte that I am, I'm reluctant to ask advice from the landscaper who originally planted our 8 fruit trees because permaculture is something to which WE introduced her.

Somewhere in my notes there may be suggestions of a spray that works (e.g. I learned at the permaculture course from one of the guest lecturers from NH -- Dot Perkins who's a real expert -- that geranium juice is kind of panacea (she raved about it so), -- but what do I do at this point?

Grateful as ever,
Elaine

PS Finished building and sheet-mulching our large 3' tall herb/veggie spiral in the middle of the garden yesterday!
A former member
Post #: 72
I've had those on my Cort's, but this year nothing?

Decided to go on the offensive against apple maggot flies...the ones that leave the brown holes in your apples after entering through the end of the apples....

Hung red balls with vasoline; and a lure made out of a milk container filled with 1/2 cp., water; 1/2 cp.sugar, 1/c cp. cider vinegar, and a banana peel.

Please follow up on the warts. for a change there is a great crop of apples...warm weather while blossoming, and apparently plenty of bees to pollinate them.
A former member
Post #: 15
Dear....(What shall I call you? ) from Katadhin Energy Works,

Thanks so much for responding! I'm making a note about your "lure," to use ahead of time for next year, but --

what should I do now that the leaf damage is done? They have those little brown bumps!

Elaine
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 50
That previous note was mine, not Francis' once again. Sorry I keep forgetting to check in two places if I'm on his account or mine. A bit tricky.

Elaine
A former member
Post #: 45
I think I am going to have a good crop of peaches, plums, and my small pear tree looks good too. I get what I think is scab on the peaches and have read up on it, but it takes carefully spraying at the right time (it seems that sulfer will work) and I know I can't keep up with it especially since my sprayer is not much good. So I have been cutting the bad part off the peaches and canning them.

Last year my pear tree leaves were covered with warts and the fruit was poor. This year, apparently thanks to the first other than cold and wet spring we've had in years, the leaves look good.

My plum tree, one of the two main prune plums--can't remember which--should be giving me a lot of plums by now since it is huge, but I've never got much. This year, perhaps due to such a good spring, it is loaded. Many of the fruits, perhaps half, have a spot where some pest got in, but I hope for the best.

My two apricots did die, sad to say. If I try again it will be the Minnesota trees, Sungold and Moongold I think they are called.

I spent a little time yesterday looking at fruit tree disease sites--there are several good ones with pictures.

Has anyone one tried baking soda for powdery mildew? I have a good hint: A cyber friend that has a large southern organic farm said to put down gypsum for green peppers. He said he just uses scrap drywall. I had some small strips and did put them by some of my peppers that year and sure enough!, those peppers did much better.
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 51
Dear Mary,

Thanks for your response! For this first time planter of fruit trees it's encouraging to hear others' stories about what worked for them. I'm noting all the suggestions people have tried which we might use too.

Now that we met our emergency -- to get our poor seedlings finally in the ground before leaving for a conference this past weekend -- I'll have more time to research the web for natural controls of fruit tree diseases.

Elaine