Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 55
Dear all,
(including those coming to our work party tomorrow, July 14:

We have lots of free straw to give away. It would be good for composting, and some of it even good enough (now) to use for sheet mulching.

Here's the story:

Even though I knew better, I made the mistake of using straw with lots of seed heads in it. I rationalized that adding woodchips over it and even in some places last year's pine needles (because of the wind on the front lawn) IT would mitigate the possible "damage."

But then the pelting rain of a recent storm must have loosened the seed heads a lot etc. etc. (I learned other lessons too some quite exciting, e.g. I saw lots of worms munching away already.)

Anyway, on Wednesday morning I saw a green haze over our sheetmulching!!

So I painstakingly pulled up all the straw and some grass seedlings that had begun to attach to the wet newspaper underneath. Then I spread all that straw on several tarps so the seedlings would die.

I called Julia who confirmed that we could "cook" it in the sun and heat for a few days and then use it for composting. That's exactly what did. But we don't have enough room to store it all.

When I examined it carefully this morning I see that much of it is now pretty completely denuded of the seed heads.

So if you want some of that free straw, just bring big bag(s) or something to collect it.

Eager for tomorrow!
Elaine
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 56
Dear all, July 14, 2007

Our fantastic work party not only accomplished our two major tasks of installing the pond liner and building the hoop house, but, -- using Winnie's encouragement and Valerie's idea (from The Humanure Handbook) and the labors of many in our group of 15 --we found a way to store ALLL that straw!

We're filled with gratitude and joy because of the rich community spirit among us who help each other! May it spread to the whole world community!

Elaine
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 143
Look forward to seeing the photos! Great event.