Nancy
user 4011934
Portland, ME
Post #: 1
Hello fellow permaculturalists,
Does any body have any suggestions for removing, or otherwise coping with, yellow jacket nests in the ground? I have found two in the last week. On in the front yard the other in the back. I went on line and found many remedies, from burning to freezing, to all things in between. Last night, (I learned they are less active at night), Paul tied to drown them with the hose and then suffocate any remaining by putting a large rock over the opening. I know this all sounds very brutal, but I've already been stung and am nervous about getting out there to work. This morning, the nest in the back is quiet, but the one in the front has excavated a new opening around the rock and is back to business as usual.
Thanks for any tips,
Nance
A former member
Post #: 94
Plastic mulch?....i quenched one with a lg. milk container with the end cut off. You are right about the stinging, esp. if you like to walk around barefoot! Dogs get stung as well!
A former member
Post #: 14
I have not tried this myself (yet) but I heard that pouring cooking oil down their hole in the evening after they've returned to their nest might work. What kind of oil you use is up to you and what you will allow in your soil. Let us know if it works!

Winnie
Nancy
user 4011934
Portland, ME
Post #: 2
Thank you both for your suggestions. How successful were you with your milk jug quenching? Power washing with the hose didn't even slow them down!
Nance