The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Words of Wisdom from Charles Eisenstein

Words of Wisdom from Charles Eisenstein

Benjamin B.
user 11073338
Harpswell, ME
Post #: 9
From Charles' most recent blog post:

Hi Everyone,

Here is a small essay I wrote about an encounter I had last week in Sweden. The Cynic and the Boatbuilder.

Just a couple notes. Tomorrow (Wednesday) at 8:00 pm I'm having a public dialog with one of my favorite philosophers, David Abram, on the topic "What's the matter with matter (and does it matter)?" You can tune in via video or audio. Registration is here. Cost is self-determined (your choices are $0 up to $25). I'm hoping that this experiment in gift economy will encourage Evolver to do it this way more often.

My new book, The More Beautiful World Our Hearts Know is Possible, is basically finished. Just a few odds and ends left. It's coming out in October I think. It is less based on traditional research than my other books, but comes out of literally thousands of conversations and stories I've gathered over the last couple years of traveling and speaking. I'll leave you with an excerpt.

Charles

In the darkest despair a spark of hope lies inextinguishable within us, ready to be fanned into flames at the slightest turn of good news. However compelling the cynicism, a childlike idealism lives within us, always ready to believe, always ready to look upon new possibilities with fresh eyes, surviving despite infinite disappointments. Even in the darkest moments of resignation to the old normal, our participation in it has been halfhearted, for part of our energy was seeking something outside the world as we have known it.

From within the logic of the old story, hope is a lie, a hallucination of something impossible. But it comes from our innate idealism, our heart's knowledge of a more beautiful world. The beliefs that tell us that a more beautiful world is impossible conflict with the heart that tells us it is. It is only when the scaffold of those beliefs collapses that hope need no longer clothe itself in the absurd. A new Story of the World gives practical expression to the heart knowing we call hope; then it becomes authentic optimism. Our unreasonable hope is pointing us toward something true. That is why I call it a herald.

Check out the essay at:
http://www.realitysan...­

Get a hold of his books The Ascent of Humanity and Sacred Economics.

His writing is vital and gives clear voice to our work of Permaculture in all of it's many manifestation.
Tyler O.
TylerOmand
Greenbush, ME
Post #: 7
Thanks for sharing this!