The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Anyone have a male hardy kiwi ( Actinidia arguta) that has flower buds this

Anyone have a male hardy kiwi ( Actinidia arguta) that has flower buds this spring?

Aaron P.
user 6845673
Falmouth, ME
Post #: 185
Does anyone in the portland area have a male hardy kiwi ( Actinidia arguta) that has flower buds this spring? After 5 years of waiting my female kiwi has flower buds, but there are none on the male, so unless i find a source for pollen there will be no fruit this year.
Greg M.
user 3541854
Acton, ME
Post #: 521
Just checked mine, nothing yet. This is probably too far out of the way, but if you're desperate or just passing through that area, the Urban Forestry Center in Portsmouth, NH has a male and female pair on an arbor next to their parking area, just behind their building. They've been setting fruit for over a decade.
Sally T.
strice
Portland, ME
Post #: 1
Mine are blossoming right now - in fact just checked and see that blossoms are starting to fall - so you should probably stop by today for a sprig!
Sally T.
strice
Portland, ME
Post #: 2
Hi Aaron,
It was good to meet you! I talked with Steve at Tripple Brook Farm, and he said that you probably have
a different variety than mine - hence the different flowering time. He feels that the pollinating can still work.
He said that your variety, when it begins to produce, will produce a larger size fruit that what I described.