The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › June 19th - Sustainable Home Heating Tour in South Portland (6:00pm - 7:30pm)

June 19th - Sustainable Home Heating Tour in South Portland (6:00pm - 7:30pm)

Candi H.
CandiH
Portland, ME
Post #: 2
Join reVision heat on June 19 for Heat ME! sustainable home heating tour. This month, we are traveling to South Portland where the Morin family is excited to share their journey off fossil fuels. By switching to Kedel, the Morins are poised to save over $1500 on their yearly home heating costs while also reducing their CO2 by 90%. By transitioning to a local, renewable, and sustainable heating fuel, they are supporting Maine’s economy and lowering their carbon footprint. Come meet the Morins, learn how their adventure began, and enjoy some delicious local food from Rosemont Market. Tour their new Kedel central heating system and find out how affordable biomass heating can be. This is an educational event sponsored by reVisionheat. Details can be found on our calendar. If you think you can join us or have a question please add a comment below. We'll be heading to a new location every month.
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 2,317
Thanks Candi! I bumped this on our FB feed.
Kelly T.
user 19413191
Portland, ME
Post #: 1
I can't make it but my husband will be there! Albeit a tad late, he will be coming from work.
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 943
Something other than wood?

David
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 2,318
Good point David. Locally produced wood (renewable as most well-managed wood lots "add" about a half a cord of wood to their own biomass per year) is one of the best ways to go. Harvesting, splitting, managing and burning firewood is an important skillset. Understanding wood burning appliances that don't contribute to air quality problems is also important. Safety is big. It doesn't rely on the manufacture of pellets and it doesn't require electricity.

I think the event Candi is posting here is focused more on people for whom cord wood heating does not seem practical. But for many of us, wood is the way to go. At myou house we heat exclusively with wood harvested from our local neighborhoods. House is air-sealed and well-insulated and our stove burns super-clean and heats the whole house. Could everyone do that? Probably not.
Candi H.
CandiH
Portland, ME
Post #: 3
I can't make it but my husband will be there! Albeit a tad late, he will be coming from work.
Kelly, Thanks for sending your husband along. It was a pleasure meeting him and hearing about your yoga studio.
Candi H.
CandiH
Portland, ME
Post #: 4
David, yes this is wood but it's wood pellets from sustainable and local sources. Lisa hit the nail on the head when she said the event was "focused more on people for whom cord wood heating does not seem practical". Over 70% of Maine homes still heat with oil. Fully automated pellet boilers are an alternative to the standard oil boilers that the majority of home owners heat with. Kedel, the pellet boiler that we showcased at this event, is designed to fully replace a home's oil boiler and tie in with their already established central heating infrastructure. This is a great alternative for a home that needs to replace their oil boiler, wants to get off fossil fuels as well as reduce their carbon footprint and cord wood is not a practical solution. Of course, they can also still supplement with cordwood the way many homes do with their oil boiler.