The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Permaculture: The Big Rock Candy Mountain by Peter Harper---Let's Discuss

Permaculture: The Big Rock Candy Mountain by Peter Harper---Let's Discuss

Loren B
user 65582502
West Rockport, ME
Post #: 15
Peter Harper is the Research Director for the Centre of Alternative Technology in Machynlleth, Wales and this article is from The Land, a UK publication "written by and for people who believe that the roots of justice, freedom, social security and democracy lie not so much in access to money, or to the ballot box, as in access to land and its resources." http://www.thelandmag...­

"Let me say at the start that I am an old hand with some claim to know what I’m talking about. I have a background in the life sciences, and for many years worked professionally in horticulture. I have been in the ‘alternative’ tribe all my life. I am acquainted with the permaculture literature, did the 72-hour course nearly 20 years ago, contributed to the Permaculture Teachers Handbook, and personally know many of the luminaries of the movement.

However I very rarely use the word ‘permaculture’ because it is too vague a term, and leads to misunderstandings. Everyone and their dog seems to have a different take on it. I thought it might be useful to describe some of my encounters over many years, and try to evaluate them from a cool, analytical, evidence-based perspective. Some, I am sure, will argue this is contrary to the spirit of permaculture. My case rests."
Click to read more