The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Downsizing Dilemnas

Downsizing Dilemnas

Lynne H.
Rootsdigger
Portland, ME
Post #: 11
We are preparing to put our Passive Solar Suburban home on the market empty nest syndrome has taken hold so there are just two of us. Our Realtor is a sweetheart but the fact is the general real estate community does not "get" just how cool our house is and the "Comps" that we are up against are your basic suburban homes. We heat with the wood and the sun in our super insulated envelope home. How do we get the word out that this is more then just a really efficient suburban home? I don't have the time to market the house myself so it has to be some sort of flyer, fact sheet, viral video...something so that like minded folks come look at what is available here in Cape Elizabeth. It is not a fixer upper, starter home and has only about 2 acres so that eliminates the "back to the land" crowd. But it does have great Permaculture potential and all the positives of a suburban setting...good schools, close to Portland, etc Any ideas that are not too time intensive as we are both working full time and also working on readying the house.
Debra
user 42149742
Dover, NH
Post #: 2
We are preparing to put our Passive Solar Suburban home on the market empty nest syndrome has taken hold so there are just two of us. Our Realtor is a sweetheart but the fact is the general real estate community does not "get" just how cool our house is and the "Comps" that we are up against are your basic suburban homes. We heat with the wood and the sun in our super insulated envelope home. How do we get the word out that this is more then just a really efficient suburban home? I don't have the time to market the house myself so it has to be some sort of flyer, fact sheet, viral video...something so that like minded folks come look at what is available here in Cape Elizabeth. It is not a fixer upper, starter home and has only about 2 acres so that eliminates the "back to the land" crowd. But it does have great Permaculture potential and all the positives of a suburban setting...good schools, close to Portland, etc Any ideas that are not too time intensive as we are both working full time and also working on readying the house.
Have you considered placing an ad in the magazines and specialty newspapers that market to "like minded folks"? Both hardcopy and/or just online sources would reach your target audience. I ran into the same thing when I was looking for something similar years ago, most realtors are not trained to handle/appreciate this market.
Loren B
user 65582502
West Rockport, ME
Post #: 17
Check out www.greenhomesforsale.com
This morning there are 20 houses in Maine listed.
Eryn H.
user 32601422
Portland, ME
Post #: 2
The Maine ASsociation of Building Efficiency Professionals (MABEP) might have somewhere to post listings...

https://mabep.memberc...­
Lyra E.
user 9154175
Freeport, ME
Post #: 15
Lynne - why not give the permaculture network some more information on your house right here on this site? This is a pretty large network in itself and then you factor in word-of-mouth from there and you get a good bit of advertising to a like-minded network. Two acres, by the way, is a nice size lot for your location and would be enough land for a productive homestead. It would be good to inform people of the size of the house, the other features, the quality of the land, price etc. Good luck!
Paul R.
user 45953142
Portland, ME
Post #: 3
Check out www.greenhomesforsale.com
This morning there are 20 houses in Maine listed.
Good morning - I tried to locate your home on this site but could not find it ( I did find the 20 homes in Maine, but there was nothing in Cape Elizabeth). Could you please send a precise link to paul_revier@yahoo.com?

Thank you!
Jim M
user 8311780
South Portland, ME
Post #: 93
Re the Green homes website:
Most of these homes look far from being solutions. Their irresponsibly large size is not sustainable. All the materials used and the space; efficient energy and resource overuse perhaps.
I hope they are occupied by multiple families to justify their size. There are probably, I hope, exceptions.
Its time to recognize that we need to be simplifying, downsizing, and sharing. "Green" mansions are a means of justifying unsustainable overindulgence.
Lynne H.
Rootsdigger
Portland, ME
Post #: 12
Seems i worried for nothing. Things are moving very fast. Buyers are more savvy then I gave them credit for. The solar part they got right away, the envelope house part not so much. We are in negotiations and things are looking positive. Never posted on the Green home site. Open house is today so if interested or just curious check out MaineListings.com and look for open houses in Cape Elizabeth