The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Symbiotic Root Fungi

Symbiotic Root Fungi

deb k.
user 8829588
Portland, ME
Post #: 14
Great to read about this in a popular health website...http://articles.merco...­

Being a minimalist, low-maintenance type of gardener, hoping the sheet-mulching will be sufficient in encouraging these fungal networks?

David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 956
More than 90% of all plants, trees, and bushes on earth form relationships with fungi. You will probably get them no matter what you do (other than use soil poisons).

David Spahr
Dennis
user 87611852
New Gloucester, ME
Post #: 28
Thank you Deb, for adding the link. Facinating!

Peace,
Dennis
deb k.
user 8829588
Portland, ME
Post #: 15
I did not realize that most plants form these networks with fungi. As the laws of nature seem to apply throughout, wondering if the fungal relationships we humans harbor are in anyway beneficial, as we always hear about the more deleterious effects. I usually think of it as an opportunistic type of situation or symptom of excess sugar/carbs in the system, but perhaps there may be more to it?
Jackson B.
featherjack
Lewiston, ME
Post #: 193
I'm no biologist, so won't attempt to speak to "bacterial" vs "fungal" but, yes, there's more to it than that -- check this out:
http://www.ted.com/talks/bonnie_bassler_on_how_bacteria_communicate.html­

"There are about a trillion human cells that make each one of us who we are and able to do all the things that we do, but you have 10 trillion bacterial cells in you or on you at any moment in your life. So, 10 times more bacterial cells than human cells on a human being. And of course it's the DNA that counts, so here's all the A, T, Gs and Cs that make up your genetic code, and give you all your charming characteristics. You have about 30,000 genes. Well it turns out you have 100 times more bacterial genes playing a role in you or on you all of your life. At the best, you're 10 percent human, but more likely about one percent human, depending on which of these metrics you like. I know you think of yourself as human beings, but I think of you as 90 or 99 percent bacterial."
Dennis
user 87611852
New Gloucester, ME
Post #: 29
Oh, GREAT...now I'm composed of mostly bacteria DNA? laughing Better that, than some stupid primate, that those in academia would have us believe and portray in the ascension of the human species. biggrin

The truth is we are composed of star "stuff". We are awakening to becoming aware of the power of our own consciousness and are evolving (OMG!! the "E" word) to becoming aware of our spiritual connection to the Universe and to all forms of Creation.

Peace,
Dennis
Jackson B.
featherjack
Lewiston, ME
Post #: 194
Oh, GREAT...now I'm composed of mostly bacteria DNA? laughing Better that, than some stupid primate, that those in academia would have us believe and portray in the ascension of the human species. biggrin

The truth is we are composed of star "stuff". We are awakening to becoming aware of the power of our own consciousness and are evolving to becoming (sic) aware of our spiritual connection to the Universe and to all forms of Creation.

Oh, GREAT...now I'm composed of dust?!? What about the energy that can never be destroyed, only changed.. like, say, into matter, as described by e=mC2? I presume that's part of Consciousness, is it not? Or do you not see it so? Never mind...

"The truth" is all life in a closed system is intricately linked.... as well as we are all linked to another, from Spirit, to Consciousness, to Matter, to Energy, to microbes, to primates, to humans, to spirit, to the Universe and to all forms of Creation....

However, when it comes to "The Truth", mine may be different from yours, and vice versa, and that's fine.

But the discussion was on Symbiotic Root Fungi and The Role Bacteria Play in Our Lives...

David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 957
Then there are the viruses... http://www.sciencedai...­
Dennis
user 87611852
New Gloucester, ME
Post #: 31
You're almost there Jackson. Please don't take my jest, personally. The comparison I made to "Star Stuff" is merely metaphorical. I could have said all matter is mostly "empty space," especially if one takes in consideration the distances between atoms, but I prefer to think the things that matter the most is that all this is en-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-ergy. biggrin
Jackson B.
featherjack
Lewiston, ME
Post #: 195

You're almost there Jackson. Please don't take my jest, personally.
(OMG!! the "E" word)
I find your words condescending, and not just to me, though I can't speak for anyone else.

Just saying.