The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › The GREAT-BIG Sun Choke Caper

The GREAT-BIG Sun Choke Caper

Penelope
user 5846522
Portland, ME
Post #: 321
Yesterday, I carefully prepared a raised bed, in just the right location, to install my first plantings of sun chokes into my landscape.
Dennis
user 87611852
New Gloucester, ME
Post #: 41
Penelope,

Are you interested in having some Super Sweet Stevia? I have a bunch with your name on it, if you want, or anyone else, for that matter?

You can propagate roots after several weeks, simply by cutting about 4 inches off the ends of the Stevia stalk, trim at a 45 degree angle. Suspend it through a hole in a plastic lid, over a plastic cup filled with water. You must change the water every couple of days. Keep it out of the direct sun. After several weeks, roots will appear. Simply transplant. You can use some willow water or a buffered Aspirin per gallon to prevent transplant shock.

If you would like some I will put some aside.

Peace,
Dennis
Greg M.
user 3541854
Acton, ME
Post #: 565
Penelope, I'll be digging up a large bed of Red Fuseau sun chokes next month. If you'd like some drop me an e-mail.
gina
user 4248834
Portland, ME
Post #: 4
I have some too Penelope, but I have no idea what kind they are. Someone from freecycle gave them to me last year and they have grown enthusiastically! :) Such a resilient, cheerful plant. I don't blame the squirrels for carrying them off!
Carmen
user 22715541
Lynnfield, MA
Post #: 2
In my case it's not only the squirrels, but the rabbit and chipmunk explosion have stopped my efforts in doing anything. The rabbits also ate every flower off my mums so all I have are stubs and they have even eaten the young leaves of the hostas, hardly permaculture plants, but begs one to stop before doing anything to try to figure out these critters.
Dennis
user 87611852
New Gloucester, ME
Post #: 42
Hi Carmen,
Have you tried making up a solution with Habenaro peppers and vegetable oil? You can find numerous receipes online. You will have to get yourself a "garden-only" blender to puree the peppers.

I think you know where I am going with this. The deer and the antelope may play, but they stay away from my garden. LOL

Peace,
Dennis
Dennis
user 87611852
New Gloucester, ME
Post #: 43
I think it is time to consider bringing out the Revenge: Rodent Smoke Bomb. It is very effective. If you do all you can do to drive them out with coyote or fox urine and they still don't get the clue, this is the next alternative.

Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 2,350
Penny, on the electric fencing, we've used Premiere and they have various chargers - some hard wired some can be solar, etc. The fencing is more like portable netting that has rigid lightweight poles going into the ground. Premier folks have been super helpful on the phone helping us configure the right gear. It was a little bit of investment but amortized over 10 years, worth it for us.
Meagan B.
user 37163502
Portland, ME
Post #: 7
Stevia people, do you bring your plants in for the winter?
This is my first year with a very healthy happy plant and i left it in a pot to bring in for the winter. Its still outside now and seems to be very happy still.
Meagan B.
user 37163502
Portland, ME
Post #: 8
I tried some from seed but they never sprouted. So the plant i have now was purchased from my local farmers market.
Sure makes for good snacking. I find that when im not hungry but am feeling snacky i eat a leaf and am completely satisfied. Havent ventured into really trying to cook with it tho, other then with tea.
Thanks for the response Pennelope!