The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Fresh, Organic Eggs?

Fresh, Organic Eggs?

Susannah
user 3832381
Portland, ME
Post #: 10
We recently lost our precious, local, organic egg source. We can't go back to grocery store eggs ever again - I need those bright sunshine yellow yolks! Does anyone know anyone who has free-range, organically-fed chickens within 5 miles of Portland? We'd sure like to know.

And yes, I know chickens are not big fans of egg production when it's chilly outside, but even just a few eggs would make us happy.

Thanks for any tips!
David Homa
PostCarbonDesign
Oxford, ME
Post #: 244
You might want to contact Stacy Brenner and John Bliss at Broadturn Farm in Scarborough...
http://www.broadturnf...­
I can give you her email if you want...
Lisa Fernandes
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 201
We have our CSA membership with John & Stacy...the eggs are GOOD!
mary anderson
marseydotes
Alna, ME
Post #: 89
Just a comment on store-bought "un-caged" organic eggs. I have been buying them but it has bothered me that they don't boast about how their chickens are so happy... So I did call today and was not one bit surprised when I asked exactly how many square feet of room to roam around in their chickens had and the nice lady told me, "two square feet". I also asked if the chickens were ever allowed out doors and she said, "whether permitting". Though (confused) that did not increase their square foot space.

Sadly, foods labeled "organic" and sold at Wallmart are going the same route.

I never was too fond of my chickens when I had them, but now I really look forward to it I have seen ideas of a chicken yard that alternates with a garden area each year. Seems like a good idea.
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 16
Here is an interesting site on raising chickens..

http://www.gatewaytov...­

It also goes into what they found as the most humane technique for *doing away* with the extra chickens, so be aware of that.

All in all, I found it to be quite informative WRT ways to raise chickens on a mixed use plot.
mary anderson
marseydotes
Alna, ME
Post #: 90
Thanks, great site, I really enjoyed it. We had Rhode Island Reds for layers that I got as chicks. Kept them in a box in the house similar to the article and didn't have any problems at all. We also raised a flock of "heavys" for eating. We didn't get around to slaughter as soon as we should have and they got HUGE--like little turkeys. They were white and the roosters bred with the Rhodes. We hatched several dozen of those eggs in a homemade incubator and the result was beautiful big birds of several shades, mostly golden.

I think I already told the story here about the time we bought a bunch of "year old layers", in other words it was cheaper for commercial egg farms to get rid of a hen when she went into her first molt and replace her. The hens were in terrible shape, but some did regain good health, meaning their combs went from pale pink to red, their feet from pale to bright yellow, their big bare (pecked) spots grew feathers, and they seemed to enjoy life. Some had ruptured vents, I can't remember if they healed but I would doubt it.

As far as roosters crowing, which for some odd reason some "city" people don't like, I do look forward to that again!
Merry & Burl Hall
BeMerry
Portland, ME
Post #: 34
Thanks Zengeos. I enjoyed the site--http://www.gatewaytov...­
and have filed it away for future reference. Gee, I love this meetup for all the neat leads you guys provide. Merry
Lisa Fernandes
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 234
Great Site! And don't forget backyardchickens.com!

We had 6 layers (rhode island reds) when were at the farmhouse in Waterboro. We're planning to get them here, too but will probably house them in a renovated half of our toolshed and tractor them when whether allows. Otherwise a nice generous run. We've got loads of coyotes and foxes and hawks around here so I need to think it through a bit.

Anybody want to build a chicken tractor this spring as a work party for the group? Let me know here or email me offline.
mary anderson
marseydotes
Alna, ME
Post #: 91
Not knowing what a chicken tractor was I googled it and look at all these ideas!

http://home.centuryte...­

When I had rabbits I had my husband make a little movable rabbit cage that was open to the grass. Though it was only anout 4X6 it was very heavy and difficult to move.
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 20
Nice site Lisa!

I don't even raise chickens, but a friend has an interest in starting a small herd? flock? of them...at my house, so I'm just starting to look into them myself.

On my part, I'm not sure if I have the time or wherewithal to raise chickens. While a garden can often go a week with virtually no care, chickens need daily care. So, I still have reservations about raising them, though the free eggs and chicken manure do sound enticing!