The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Why Bother with Permaculture?

Why Bother with Permaculture?

A former member
Post #: 1
Replying to "Why bother with Permaculture?"
I've enjoyed going through a few articles on permaculture this cold afternoon. I read one which was an abstract critique of pessimism: "Why enjoy gardening or building relationships or seeking a simpler, more sustainable lifestyle, if it isn't enough to change the big picture?" is my quick summary of the article.
I agree with the writer's premise that permaculture needs to connect with a global framework and a radical repudiation of the consumer culture America is the proud exporter of. Who can say how much change is needed, what change exactly, and whether or not it will occur in time to ward off cataclysmic devestation? Fear may have good reasons to bemoan the direction of the status quo but doing a little something kind and beautiful, compassionate and creative, brings to mind faith that doing the right thing is all one can do and that it will be enough. You know, there needs to always be improvement, but conguring up light at the end of tunnel or the end of the long night, is no small doing.
I need to start where I'm at and do what I can with what I have. Find your niche. It will have to be something you enjoy enough to persevere in, even though there will be obstacles and setbacks and opposition. I'm dealing with a 40 by 40 foot piece of land, family, livelihood and city house and that takes all the time and energy I can muster.
The more radical change that may be needed is certainly important, but local survival comes first. Unless it is your niche to battle against neo-liberalism or corporate capitalism. There is a diversity of ways to respond to the problem. I see permaculture as a creation of a local solution in small ways. My heart for social change has to keep some peace and love and energy inside from which to relate, work and create; or on some days, just to keep on keepin' on without losing hope and humor; courage and the capacity to encourage.
If people won't and don't change, (and they never have before until they're forced to change) dire consequences will be reaped. And that may be what is necessary to move along the change/movement toward ecological restoration. I hope to have enough permaculture within me and in my place of existence, that I can endure through the difficulties without selling out and with enough to share with someone else in need.
David H.
PostCarbonDesign
Oxford, ME
Post #: 249
Ken,
It is definitely about localization...
I have found inspiration in this group(the local) and in places like California & Australia (the global).
If you have a moment take a look at what this family in California has accomplished...

http://www.pathtofree...­

I think that Youtube has some videos about them as well.

http://www.youtube.co...­

http://www.youtube.co...­

It is a committment...a paradigm shift.
-Dave
A former member
Post #: 2
[Dave, Thanks for your reply! I looked into 'Path to Freedom" Wow! A very radical path, using their hands, and the little urban space they had. Thanks again for the encouragement. Although I don't know you, through this meetup you've really helped me find what is existing but I wasn't aware of it. May your own labors be fruitful. Ken
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 215
Yes!

Re-localization
A positive path to energy descent
With less, living better
Unleashing our collective creative genius