Susannah
user 3832381
Portland, ME
Post #: 15
In light of living sustainability and solving traffic issues - if you think widening 1-295 is not a positive idea, sign on to this e-petition that is sponsored by The Portland League of Young Voters. So many of the comments are very good.
Sign the petition:
http://salsa.democrac...­

Also, if interested in seeing what the proposed expansion looks like and to register your comments with MDOT, go here:
http://www.maine.gov/...­

Thanks!
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 238
Susannah - Thanks for posting this. From my perspective it has always irked me that people just assume general fund monies will fund endless road building, expansion and maintenance while public transport somehow "has to pay for itself." For example, people expect Amtrak to turn a profit or at least cover its own costs. Not that that's impossible, but if you apply that same criteria to the road system....

I really don't see spending $30 million on this project being good for Maine or our region compared to the other projects being neglected (not to mention massive social service cuts going on at the moment).

If it's a road safety issue, I can think of about 12 other ways to crack that nut before expanding the road.
David H.
PostCarbonDesign
Oxford, ME
Post #: 263
Oh where to begin...
This is evidence (like we needed it) of the fossil fuel addiction that plagues our society.
As a community planner and politician, these widening projects like this one are all about "progress", but the these projects only address the symptoms of the disease.
Several years back I created what I called "the iceberg of sprawl"
Where as communites only recognize the "peaking segment of the iceberg"...ie traffic, crime, healt issues, failing infrastructure, taxes, loss of green space, loss of local businesses.
In Gorham, we see(not me) the Gorham By-pass as the solution to traffic in the Downtown. Any intelligent person could see that making roads wider, diverted, turnpike spurs,and such really never gets to the matter of human settlement patterns that are sustainable and progressive.
For Portland...the "green city", the issues and players create a complex mix of ideas that will not reach a sustainble conclusion.
Last year, I was talking with Don Chen, then President of Smart Growth America, about projects like these...I said isn't this like giving a greasy burger to a cardiac bypass patient fresh out of surgery...Don laughed and said...yes, exactly!