The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Cold Frames & Raised Beds in the City

Cold Frames & Raised Beds in the City

David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 98
The answer to the drainage hole question is that I made them on the side about 4-6 inches up. That way the bottom would still hold significant water but would drain out once it got too high. It worked well. The drier soil above tended to normalize a lot of water at the bottom. Drainage holes in the bottom mean constant watering and if you have them on a wood deck, the water between the wood and the bucket is a bad thing.
A former member
Post #: 62
Nancy Bubel ( Seed Starter's Handbook) recommends adding a layer of moss (the kind found in your woods not peat moss) to the bottom of your seed flats to act as a sponge for soaking up and storing water. I feel a little conflicted since it takes moss such a long time to grow but I guess you could always return it to nature after you are done starting your seeds. I have also heard about shredding newspaper and putting it in the bottom of containers to do the same thing. The newspaper eventually decomposes.

Winnie
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 99
As far as making the holes on the side goes it should be noted that by the time the roots get near the bottom of the bucket they are big plants. Two 6 foot tomato plants in a bucket will suck a gallon of water out of the soil held in the bottom in very short order. You do have to check the holes on the side to be sure they don't get plugged up. A nail, stick, or pocket knife should work to unblock the holes. A drilled hole is best. I have had good luck with this.
David H.
PostCarbonDesign
Oxford, ME
Post #: 281
it's not the city, but I have updated some photos on my Flickr page of hoophouse and frames...
http://www.flickr.com...­