The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Local Currencies & Maine Time Dollar

Local Currencies & Maine Time Dollar

Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 266
Does anyone have experience to share with using local currencies? Maine Time Dollars? What worked well, what didn't, etc? Post here or email me off-line if you want.
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 37
I was a MTB meber for 4 or 5 years.

I did use some time dollars for some masssages. However, for me here in Gorham, it was difficult to find ways to spend the time dollars I accrued (a couple thousand over the time)

Still, for those living in a less rural area than outside of Gorham, time dollars can be very useful, and many people are more than willing to do exchanges if transportation isn't an issue for them.

If you aren't a MTB member, go ahead and sign up.

Mark-
Lori P.
LoriPower
Portland, ME
Post #: 3
I'm a member and it's pretty cool. I live in Portland, so it's easy to connect with people. I only have a few hours accrued, and I have only used a couple of hours, but it's nice to have when it works out--great way to meet people too!
Lori P.
LoriPower
Portland, ME
Post #: 5
Here's a posting from the latest Time Bank newsletter that permaculture people might be interested in:

Gardening Liaisons and Coordinators Needed!

We need members who love gardening and have some extra time this summer to help out with 2 very important projects:

1. We would like to pay Time Dollars to a member who can help us round up other gardening members to do work for Rippling Waters in exchange for produce. Estimated hours are 10 ? 12 per month at the most. We need someone who doesn?t mind phone-calling and has access to email. This would entail meeting briefly with Time Bank staff, as well as some staff from Rippling Waters.
2. We have need of a member liaison that can help us coordinate members to staff a farm stand at the farmer?s market, as well as staffing a Monday craft table on Monument Square. Times and hours for these locations are still being negotiated, but we are starting our gardening Microenterprise, which will result in beautiful blooms to sell as bouquets to benefit PTB. We will also be selling t-shirts donated to us from ?Smile! It?s Today!? along with member and staff-created TimePieces: pins we are making from recycled watch parts. This is a really exciting effort and we want you to get involved!
3. And we need another liaison who can help us enlist member help in the garden acreage. The garden is located in Cape Elizabeth?s glorious coastline ? a flower gardener?s dream come true! Estimated time commitment is 10 ? 12 hours per month. Call 874-9868 or email Kym@portlandtimebank.org.