The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Heat Local Sustainable Heating Home Tour on Saturday, April 19th in South Po

Heat Local Sustainable Heating Home Tour on Saturday, April 19th in South Portland

Candi H.
CandiH
Portland, ME
Post #: 7
Join ReVision Heat on Saturday, April 19 for a Heat Local home tour. This month, they are traveling to South Portland where the Bauman family is excited to share their journey off fossil fuels. By switching to Kedel, the Baumans are poised to save over $1800 on their yearly home heating and domestic hot water costs while also reducing their CO2 by 90%. By transitioning to a local, renewable, and sustainable heating fuel, they are supporting Maine’s economy and lowering their carbon footprint. Come meet the Baumans, learn how their adventure began while enjoy delicious pastries and coffee from Katie Made Bakery in Portland. ReVision Heat will be on hand to answer your questions and provide a tour of the Bauman’s new Kedel central heating system and AirGernerate heat pump water heater.

Date: Saturday, April 19, 2014

Time: 9:00 am – 10:30am

To RSVP or get more information about this event,use ReVision's contact form or call 207-221-5677 ext 3.
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 1,019
How does the 90% reduction in CO2 work?

David
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 1,020
OK I read the site. It's a bit misleading. It's a pellet stove and an expensive one at that. The pellets are "renewable" as a heat source. We have trees to absorb the CO2. Trees do grow back. Oil does not. Using this same line of reasoning if you burn wood and have your own supply and get it yourself that is even more "efficient" because there are dramatically lower transport and manufacturing costs. If you burn pellets you are dependent upon them. This year pellets ran out many places around here and people were scrambling or going without. Pellets are just like food and other types of fuel in that if they raise the price a lot you are going to pay it.
Greg M.
user 3541854
Acton, ME
Post #: 684
Totally agree. If you can do things yourself it's much cheaper for you and can be much better for the environment. Having said that, for those who can't cut and burn wood, pellets are amazingly less damaging than oil and significantly cheaper. They can also support our Maine economy. I just wish businesses wouldn't carry pellets from the other side of the continent while at the same time our Maine pellets get shipped out of state.
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 1,022
I have a wood furnace that cost $1200 and I love it. It pushes air into the ductwork of my house. It is far more comfortable in my house than it ever was. I lost a lot of wood in the ice storm this past winter. Enough to cover a large amount of my heating needs for next year. My unit is an Englander wood furnace. It is simply a stove in a jacket that blows the air inside the jacket into my ductwork. Very simple. http://www.homedepot....­ One thing not mentioned in all of this is installation. It cost me twice as much for the metalbestos chimney and install.

What has happened to the price of meat recently could easily happen to pellets. The more people use them the less good it may be. Eventually you reach the point where trees are disappearing much faster than they grow back. (we may already be there) A good reason to have your own woodlot if you can. Plant some trees.......

David
Tyler O.
TylerOmand
Greenbush, ME
Post #: 68
Just some food for thought, just one of the small scale pellet makers I found in a quick search http://smallpelletmil...­

Pellet stoves that work well and can burn pellets made from waste materials do have their advantages over a woodstove or furnace especially when you consider that the pellet stove has an automated feed controlled by a thermostat and with an adequately sized hopper it can heat for a few days to well over a week (or much, much longer with a pellet silo and conveyor) with little to no supervision and matainance. I am imagining making my own biomass pellets to produce syn gas that then can used in the pellet maker (or the tractor that it is attached to for the pto driven pellet makers, or any gas combustion engine) and as long as you have an adequate supply/source of biomass you've a fairly reliable fuel supply. I have also seen a couple of rocket pellet stoves that give a really clean, complete burn of the pellet, are gravity fed and require no electricity, www.wisewaypelletstoves.com
Jackson B.
featherjack
Lewiston, ME
Post #: 205

The Wise Way stove looks pretty sweet. :-)