The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › David Holmgren Has Hope for Suburbia

David Holmgren Has Hope for Suburbia

Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 279
In today's Sydney Morning Herald:

http://www.smh.com.au...­
Ted M.
TedMarkow
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 20
Thanks for the link, Lisa. I especially liked this part:

"The suburbs offer an opportunity for people to gain more food security and social insurance at home and in their neighbourhood than in systems where everything is dependent on the government and corporations managing to keep the supply lines of everything running smoothly."

Rebuilding the structure of the community is an important part of retrofitting the suburbs.

Until recently, I had viewed suburbia (where I live) with some negativity. While some of it is warranted, I think suburban areas hold a lot of latent possibilities, along with rebuilding communities and reconnecting with people, two things that have been in decline in the last 50 years.

Hope is good - I like hope!
A former member
Post #: 1
Holmgren's ideas are right up my alley so to speak and certainly encourage me to continue to believe that small is beautiful. With my little town lot, I aspire to "live from my harvest" as was so beautifully put at our last meetup. On June 10th, I hope to get people's ideas for the design of my place, and how I can connect/expand it to my immediate neighborhood, engaging my neighbors in a vision greater than our own individual backyards.
Pilar