The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Plants to Share or Plants in Need

Plants to Share or Plants in Need

A former member
Post #: 1
While not a local operation, I found a wonderful, small family fruit and nut tree business in Potsdam, NY. They are called St. Lawrence Nurseries, and they only sell plants that they can grow in their zone (zone 3) so their stock is very, very hardy. They have TONS of apple varieties, plum, cherry, pear, etc... Also lots of shrubs & hedges, great wildlife loving plants, and more. I ordered about 30 trees from them this week (sugar maple, elderberry, blueberry, hawthorne, etc.) The cut off date for this year is postmark May 1. Visit them online at http://www.sln.potsda...­
A former member
Post #: 2
David
How does your blackberry do in Washington? I've heard it's tempermental in this climate. I'm in Jefferson (howdy, neighbor) and would love to grow some here. Does it bramble, or is its growth more like a raspberry? Does it tolerate a moist location? Do you get quite a bit of fruit?
If you're willing to part with some -- I'm interested to hear about your trees & bushes, too-- I have lots of things that I could trade (veg / flower seedlings, perennials, herbs, honey, garlic this August, onions, etc.) Let me know.
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 67
If anyone wants/needs chamomile, my wintersown chamomile jug is a carpet of little tiny baby plants! looks like a carpet of moss. They did fine overnight in the 23 degree temps.

I should be able to plunk and run a dozen or so clumps out of this 1 gallon jug I winter sowed.

Mark-
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 111
Trish,

My blackberries are mostly wild around here. I get plenty of fruit. I do have a couple of small patches of Apache and Prime Jim. They have yet to do anything. Most things I would want would need to be able to grow in the woods/mixed.

I have black raspberries. Cultivated. I have wild and cultivated red raspberries too. Most of my interest is forageable perennials.

Much of my garden is quite invisible. I am looking to get more things. Last years dryness really set me back hard. Transplanting into dust did not work out.

Where about in Jefferson? Sick of snow?

David
Lori P.
LoriPower
Portland, ME
Post #: 9
Hi Tree--
I can give you some Ecchinacea as well--

Lori
Tree
user 4058763
Hollis Center, ME
Post #: 32
Oh Great, Lori!

Are you looking for any plants? I should have willow cuttings later in the year for anyone interested, and a lot more...oh...how about coltsfoot or some mints?

Thanks,

Tree
mary a.
marseydotes
Alna, ME
Post #: 104
I thought of a few more herbs I will have.

Lady's Mantle
Valerian

Valerian is a great plant if you have the room for it. Cats are just nuts about it. But it does self-seed very easily! I plan to put a few plants in the ditch here at the new farm. The root is the part that is used and it has a really disgusting smell, though cats like it even more than catnip.

Winnie, I am surprised that your Egyptian onions tend to take over as mine have been no problem. They do get a little bigger each year (though not much!), but most of their energy seems to go into making new onions at their tips.

Tree, I will keep you in mind when I ask Sue, "Whatchagot?" this spring.

About the Arbor trees... Actually to my horror they shipped my trees last fall. I called them and told them that this was MAINE for crying out loud, and the ground was already frozen... They said to send them back and they'd be reshipped in the spring. But I did get a chance to look at them and I was pleased with what I saw. Over the years I've read quite a bit of info on fruit trees and the suggestions have been: Buy bare root and younger trees tend to catch up fairly quickly to ones sold a little larger. For a person that wants everything they see, like me, and yet can afford so little, like me, I've long ago decided that smaller is better and it has worked out well. When the trees arrive I will let everyone know if I am happy with them...or not.
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 68
Mary, I haven't sown my Valerian or Ladys Mantle yet. How quickly do they grow/sprout?

I've been getting mixed results with my various herbs. Some have been going crazy. Others just refuse to sprout. Not sure what's going on there...

I stratified purple and yellow echinacea on the front porch for around 2 weeks and brought in a week ago to grow on indoors...nothing as yet. I also have some wintersown, so, perhaps the wintersown ones will produce for me like the chamomile is...

I'm still tempted by the arbor trees, but, then, I look at places like Burnt Ridge out West, and they have some very good pricing on their trees and fruiting plants...

Of course, my budget is prettymuch shot this year...
A former member
Post #: 3
David,
We're on the east pond road in Jefferson, 1 mile from the lake. If you'd asked yesterday if I was sick of the snow, I would have said no. This morning is a different story! I saw killdeer and kittywakes out in our back pasture yesterday morning--the first ones of spring. They are probably scouting out nest locations--today I'm sure they they're wondering what the heck is going on.
Digging up some of your wild blackberry wouldn't yield much result, would they? They probably have the perfect microclimate right where they are. Oh well.
The japanese beetle seems to have an affinity for my one late season variety of raspberry. I'd be looking for more late season varieties if you have some.
When you say forageable perennials, I assume you mean things like lamb's quarter, amaranth, that sort of thing? I don't have any of those (yet) but I have tons of echinacea, some hops, lots of herbs. I'm always willing to swap stuff--if you're looking for anything in particular let me know.
Also to anyone out there: I'm creating a 100' windbreak on the north side of my garden and I need native saplings: a mixture of soft & hard wood, conifer & deciduous. We're on an old dairy farm -- not a lot of trees around us.
And, does anyone have a good source for linden trees (American basswood)? Thanks,
Trish
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 112
I drive down east pond road fairly often to go to BBH. It is a good back way to rt. 1. The blackberries are pretty hardy I think. Berries only grow on the second years canes.

A few years ago my son and his friend (about 12 years old) stuffed out on blackberries and were asking me how they spread. I explained that birds eat them and expell the seeds along with some fertilizer. I pointed out that they each had a belly full of seeds and that if they went over to the edge of the leech field and dug a hole and made a deposit that berries would likely grow.

The next morning they did just that and now I have two nice patches of blackberries.

The wild raspberries are pretty great too. The flavor is unbeatable. They aren't that hard to find around here.