The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Plants to Share or Plants in Need

Plants to Share or Plants in Need

zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 71
My Spilanthes seedlings seem to be growing well. I should have a couple to spare if anyone wants any of this unusual medicinal herb. Also known as toothache plant. It is a tender plant here in Maine, so collect seeds from year to year...
A former member
Post #: 69
Trish,
I have white pine seedlings you can have. I'm down in Freeport.

Winnie
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 114
Trish,

I don't know if you can grow basswood from cuttings or not but I have one or two nearby.

As for japanese beetles and raspberries, they seem to like the wild thimbleberries aka purple flowering raspberries aka rubus parviflorum/odoratus better than most any other berry. They can't kill them either once they are established. They berries are good. They flower and grow all season till past frost with red/pink flowers that look like rosa rugosa (sort of). They have no commercial value but are easy to like as a yard/trail nibble. They can grow like a pernicious weed.

I got some for my property from the edge of a railroad bed.

David
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 73
My yellow coneflowers have finally started sprouting. Purple coneflower are doing nothing as yet sigh...

Are yellow coneflowers also medicinal or are just the purples?
Aaron P.
user 6845673
Falmouth, ME
Post #: 8
I think all Echinacea species have similar medicinal value, with E. angustifolia (aka narrow leaf coneflower) being the most potent. Also, the root of any given plant is the most potent part and the older the plant the better (assuming the root has not become "punky"). Of course harvesting the root kills the plant, so i usually harvest the flowers (for tea) and seed heads (for chewing on). If you've never chewed the seed you should try it, it makes a great tingling sensation in your mouth.
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 75
So, plant trade meeting in May?

I'm happy to host it, either as part of the regular monthly meeting or as a separate plant swap day in early May.

What say everyone bring at least 1 plant for trade,,,,,or many if you want, and everyone get at least 1 plant in exchange...whether it be echinacea, raspberry, elderberry, rhubarb, whatever... you have. I should have plenty of seedlings for exchange, myself, as well as daylily divisions if anyone wants stellas.

Right now my seedlings include:

broccoli
cauliflower
marjoram
peppers (mostly sweet bells of various colors)
yellow coneflower (echinacea) seedlings...just sprouted
blue hyssop, I think
spilanthes
purple coneflower (1st sprouts today)
mixed cut flower annuals
chamomile seedlings

Probably will have more by May
Aaron P.
user 6845673
Falmouth, ME
Post #: 9
sounds wonderful! I'm definitely interested.
A former member
Post #: 108
I had never heard of the herb Spilanthes and looked it up. I agree, what an interesting plant! I'd love to have a plant and hopefully begin collecting my own seeds from year to year.

Zengeos you asked about Lady's Mantle and Valerian. LM seems to spread by underground runners, but is not at all invasive. Self seeds as well, though not pesky like some plants. Valerian on the other hand self seeds widely and I now have it in the wild areas adjacent to my gardens, though right in the garden it has not been a pest. I have welcomed it in the field because it has a very attractive large flower head, smells nice and attracts bees.

I have seen LM flowers dried for dried floral arrangements and it holds it shape and color quite well.

Spilanthes:
http://www.b-and-t-wo...­

EDIT: Wikipedia and Dave's Garden also have interesting info on Spilanthes. I am wondering if one could overwinter it in a sunny window?...seems worth a try. It is also called "the eyeball plant".biggrin
Penelope
user 5846522
Portland, ME
Post #: 7
I would appreciate some blackberry canes. I look for wild bushes but have not found any in the Portland area. I did purchase two "designer bushes" last year. They need to be trellised. Don't know how well they have wintered or will produce if they survived.

I have raspberry and many different perennial flowers to trade.

Penny
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 76
I appear to have some wild raspberry on my back acre (the land beyond my stream) However, it is quite run down and a bit hard to get to...it's literally.."wild" I'd like some cultivated canes for my front acre. If anyone would like some of the wild raspberry they are welcome to dig a bit of it up.