zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 97
I know it's not really permaculture related, BUT...I have Iris Reticulata in flower! They are quite pretty; dark blue for the most part and only about 4" tall. A couple days ago they were just coming up from under the snow, and now they are in bloom!
Susannah
user 3832381
Portland, ME
Post #: 26
Isn't Spring the most miraculous time of the year! Aren't the first flowers so incredibly delightful and compelling! We've got lots of crocuses fully blooming here; yellows, whites, purples, light purples and my favorite, purple and white stripes.
Today I plopped some pansies in one window box and I got to use my new fancy potting table - made mostly from pallets by our own dear Matthew P.
We pulled back some of the straw from our garlic beds and yes, indeed, we'll be eating our own garlic in August!
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 98
I noticed a few garlic shoots popping up in the hastily planted garlic bed (with no mulch, btw)

My wintersown plants seem to be going crazy!!!

I swear, the wintersown brassicas look darker and healthier than those started under lights. Of course, they are JUST starting to grow true leaves. My broccoli started indoors is now a full time resident of my 6 mil poly covered front porch. It helps a degree or two, maybe, in temp at night, so they will likely hit a frost in the next week or so, but I hope to start planting it out next week, if the traditional bed is dry enough.

So, to answer your question....yes, Spring is a miraculous time of year!! What's MORE miraculous is that sooo many of my fall planted tthings are popping up!!
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 128
I see various weeds popping up. I have mushrooms growing in my wood chip front yard. False morels are poison unfortunately (as are most iris).
Ted M.
TedMarkow
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 29
I see various weeds popping up. I have mushrooms growing in my wood chip front yard. False morels are poison unfortunately (as are most iris).

I'm growing mold in my den. crying
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 102
Aww Ted!!

Time to break down and buy some concrobium mold control spray!
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 332
I'm growing mold in my den. crying

Haha! Can't beat mushrooms in an LL Bean shirt. That's a good one.
Ted M.
TedMarkow
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 30
No...I mean I'm really growing mold in the den of my house! Had it tested and it's bad stuff. Going to have to have the wall torn down in the den and the room above it. Have to leave the door closed and sealed and can't remove anything from the room.

Beware, if you had water coming in due to an ice dam this winter (many did), be on the lookout for mold. At the first hint of a mildewy smell, get it tested!
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 104
Concrobium can be fogged in the room and that will kill any mold in the air or growing on any surfaces the fog can reach, AND prevent the mold from returning. The mold cannot grow on the imperceptible coating created by the concrobium fog.

It should prevent the mold from spreading any further until such time as you can remove it from behind the wall and ceiling surfaces.

Mark-
Ted M.
TedMarkow
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 31
Thanks for the info, Mark.

Unfortunately, most of the mold is behind the wall and in the insulation (whatever is there in my 1958 home). I've been told by the tester not to open the door or take anything out.

We have two varieties of mold growing and apparently one is quite nasty. I'm visualizing guys in hazmat suits coming and quarantining the whole house. Actually, I think they will come in and use a positive ventilation system while they remove the mold.

Anyway, didn't mean to hijack this thread. I have flowers growing too! The good kind!!