The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › MOFGA Certified Organic Blueberries. Harvesters Wanted!

MOFGA Certified Organic Blueberries. Harvesters Wanted!

David H.
user 13568566
Gorham, ME
Post #: 1
Greetings! I thought this would be a great place to post about an opportunity to harvest some absolutely delicious organic blueberries.

The owners of Peace and Plenty Farm (www.organicblueberry.com) up near Phillips, Maine have semi-permanently moved south, and have asked that I take on the responsibility of managing the harvest at least for this year. My wife and I WWOOFed for the owners of Peace and Plenty 3 years ago, and had a wonderful month there harvesting berries and exploring the surrounding mountains. It is simply a beautiful place, well worth spending a day or a weekend!

So... what's the deal? I want to recruit permies and other respectable folk for the harvest. Lloyd, the owner, has offered $1.25 per winnowed pound in the past, and so I could offer that as cash payment. I am checking with him, but I believe he would be open to a keep 20% of what you rake deal. Rake 25 lbs, keep 5 lbs of it. I would ask that you provide your own transportation to the fields, and if possible bring your own blueberry rake. I will have some rakes to lend out, but maybe only 6 or so. We will need people running the winnower machines while others are raking, so we won't all need rakes at the same time. I can accept about 8 people per day for the harvest. You can harvest for a day or the whole weekend. If you want to stay in the area, there will be plenty of space to pitch tents on a very large tent platform, or in a grassy yard. There are bathroom facilities at the cabin where we would stay overnight, but there are no bathrooms at the field. There is plenty of forest though! Please come prepared with a trowel and TP :)

If you are interested, please email: djhewey@gmail.com

The harvest dates will be August 22, 23, 24 and September 5, 6, 7

The fields are at 1,700 ft in elevation, and so they are the latest berries of anywhere I know of.

If a couple, or 2 friends would be interested, there is a possibility of volunteering right through from the first weekend to the second harvest weekend in a cabin close to the fields, and raking at your leisure (for pay). You must be present for the first harvest weekend for this to be an option.

So as a recap:

Who: YOU!!
What: MOFGA Certified Organic Blueberries
When: August 22, 23, 24 and September 5, 6, 7
Where: Phillips, Maine www.organicblueberry.com
Why: Because they are delicious, you can take some berries or $$ home, and you want to help a farmer out!