The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Seedbank in the Arctic - devastating article

Seedbank in the Arctic - devastating article

Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 123
Our friend Lynn who sent this to us said, -- "Speaking of seeds, don't read this at night."

I want to believe this is a conspiracy theory, but read for yourself how thoroughly documented this is.

Elaine

http://www.globalrese...­
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 124
And here's the illuminating interview I told some of you I'd post today. It's on the U.S.'s role in Haiti's Food Riots

http://www.democracyn...­

Elaine
Lori P.
LoriPower
Portland, ME
Post #: 12
Yes, Elaine, this is terrifying. Matthew and I were just talking about perhaps learning to harvest our own seeds. Perhaps we should all start a Portland Maine Permaculture seed bank? We may have to invest in the Maine Militia to protect it . . .

Lori
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 125
That's a great idea, Lori!!

In choosing seeds this year I've deliberately stayed away from hybrids since that way I could save seeds if I chose to. Now I'm more motivated to do so!

I sent this article to others and got this response from a friend who works the land:

Less conspiracy, I think, than a huge difference of opinion in how to feed the world. Gates, Rockefeller et als have long felt that agribusiness and GMO seeds are the way to go, and they have invested accordingly. I don't believe they had or have evil ends in mind. They truly believe this is the way to go. They don't believe organic or small scale will do enough. Many of us disagree of course. The seed bank in the Arctic got mainstream news some time ago, and fear of the impact of nuclear holocaust or natural disaster I think is the driving force (though I suspect uncertainty about their own GMO work is also one reason).

It also reminds me that the Gates Foundation is very involved in combatting malaria, and one of the most effective ways to do so is to use DDT in mosquito nets around the world. All of us know the dangers of DDT, but apparently experts feel benefits outweigh the risks when lives are involved. Again, there is strong disagreement.

In both instances, people are trying to solve things on a massive scale using artificial means. This is the hard lesson of agribusiness and Rachel Carson. Scale matters, and natural vs. artificial matters (see E. F. Schumacher & Small is Beautiful). It is the lesson of nature that we must continue to learn again and again, which is one of the reasons why getting people in touch with gardens, as you are doing thru permaculture, is so imporant.

My 2nd question to her:

Thanks for balancing this view which is actually more likely. But could you clear up one question whose answer in my view is critical: Why do they program the seeds not to reproduce? Why TERMINATING them if they're not after repeat customers year after year? What is the good behind that move?

To which she agreed: "Yes...so the farmer has to buy seed from the company every year - profit$."

And that's reason enough to save our own seeds isn't it!!

Lisa, -- perhaps we could have a workshop focus on this subject too.

Elaine
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 355
Seed saving as a skill we need to have is very high on my agenda. I think we do need a couple of sessions on this...perhaps one of which is a screening of "The Future of Food." It's now a bit out of date but still alot of valid content.

Then....who do you know who can teach us seed saving in August/Sept when our stuff is going to seed or seeds can be harvested from the fruits of our gardens? Pls advise and I'll set it up.
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 126
This is not an answer to your question, Lisa, (and thanks for leading the way here!) the FEDCO catalog on page 4 has a bit of info on "Seed Saving for Beginners" and even a section "Start a Student-Run Seed Company" !! "We are eager to work with any school, PTA or other interested school organization. Contact CR Lawn by email at ...(and you have to look it up since the Meetup won't let me type in an email address as you know. ;o) )

Maybe they'd consider our permaculture group a "school!" And we could help real school children do the same!

Elaine
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 127
PS Just came back from my daily walk. While enjoying the haze of delicate baby leaves unfolding and the spring buds swelling, I was mulling over this subject. This is how my train of thought went.

First I realized that southern Maine school children, unlike Waterville area ones where FEDCO is located, might not be ready for seed saving until they plant the seeds and grow the garden!

So a better place to start would be getting southern Maine kids to plant "sustainability gardens."

During these hard economic times, and with children picking up anxiety about global climate change, this idea could catch fire among both children and adults. What a good way to get at the adults through the children! And it could ease some of the whole family's anxiety.

We could begin by attracting teachers to join our permaculture group for their own self-education. We could entice them with the long range vision of involving children in the whole process, from planting seeds to saving them!

Elaine
A former member
Post #: 110
While I sure do feel it is correct that Monsanto, DuPont, etc., would like to take control of the world, the author of this article is not a person I would look to for clear thinking since he holds the nutty idea that oil is not made from ancient remains of plant life and there is no such thing as peak oil.

Big agraculture wants to turn the earth into giant mega/mono fields using their patented GM seeds, herbicides, and pesticides. Here is a good article from ScienceDaily on biodiversity. Also see the related articles listed on the same page.
http://www.sciencedai...­

I agree that the Gates Foundation is a giant scam.

About DDT, I have looked into it and I tend to agree that small amounts used properly are necessary till something better comes along. I can look for the informatiion I read if anyone is interested.
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 128
Thanks for that interesting science daily article Mary! The "niche complementarity" under discussion reminds me of the advice given in permaculture books, the more diversity the better. You probably also heard said or read that Bill Mollison used to throw a handful of different seeds on the soil and let nature have its way with them.

Another person not in our meetup commented on the unreliability of this author pointing out that he misrepresented Margaret Sanger's role in The Negro Project. I should have read the article more carefully. But at least it's reminding us that saving seeds is a skill we want to develop.

Your DDT reference is interesting even if right now I personally wouldn't make time to look it up (though I would read it if someone else did) because so many permaculture chores as well as reading/study call me.

Grateful,
Elaine
Merry & Burl H.
BeMerry
Portland, ME
Post #: 45
This makes seed saving 101 and seed exchange sessions all the more necessary. I love the idea of a group shared seed bank. Please do get seed saving on the meetup agenda, Lisa.

While I agree that the author is unreliable and biased (as we all are) this take on the Norway seed bank reverberates with my own most paranoid reaction when I first heard about it. Eli Rogosa of the Heritage Wheat Conservancy also distrusts the motives of such a vaulted and guarded seed bank according to my interview with her. She points out that any seeds preserved over long spans of years may be useless in the new growing environment years later, especially as quickly as climate change and GE spread are occurring. Locally adapted seeds need to be planted, grown out, reproduced, and saved locally to keep up with the evolving habitat. "Use it or lose it." She also points out the social justice issues that can arise in access to seeds in a corporate funded (or any large) seed bank. Who decides whom to give precious seeds to? On what criteria? At what expense? It doesn't take a dire and evil plot for horrifying problems and consequences to arise.

Merry