The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › grafting experience?

grafting experience?

alder
user 6954726
Sullivan, ME
Post #: 13
yesterday i tried my hand at grafting for the first time. using pear and apple rootstock, i did a bark graft, cleft graft, and several whip and tongue grafts. it seemed to go pretty well, overall, but despite wrapping the tape as tightly as i could (without being damaging-ly tight) the scions all seem pretty loose and wiggly (esp on the whip and tongue). is this normal? or did i do something incorrectly?

i realize that whip and tongue probably wasn't the best technique to use (as i wasn't grafting onto the trunk of young rootstock, but instead onto branches of last year's growth... if that makes sense). however all the trees (except the slowly reviving wild apple) are pretty small and since it was my first time i didn't want to do anything drastic. the only topworking i did was on the apple, and that bark graft seems the most secure.

so is there anyone out there with grafting experience? are loose scions a big "ooops"?
thanks!
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 147
I used to do it with my father when I was a kid. We used string - not tape - and grafting wax. Most of them worked and we were not experts at all. I wouldn't be surprised if it all worked out well.

I have been toying with the idea of doing it this year. I already have two 5 in 1 apple trees but was thinking maybe I would add some. They are still small trees though.

My neighbor up the road has one that has 22 varieties.
Aaron P.
user 6845673
Falmouth, ME
Post #: 26
I really want to learn to graft, especially after visiting a friend who was staying with John Bunker (of fedco)... holy crap, that guy must have 100+ types of apples, seems like every tree had at least 5 cultivars on it.