zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 182
I ran out of trays also this year. Next year I likely won't do quite so much seed starting...went a bit overboard this year. I'll probably limit the amount of flowers to a few of each variety instead of a dozen, and start things a little later. Some of the peppers are 12 inches tall now.

sigh.

I may start planting them out...
alder
user 6954726
Sullivan, ME
Post #: 32
lol i know what you mean. i thought i did better this year, but somehow i still feel short on space. i dont even want to talk about my tomatoes, it's embarrassing how gigantic they are.... so i sympathize w/ your peppers. :)

i expect you folks down south are pretty clear of frost by now right? i have a hunch we are too, but i'm going to wait til after full moon for tender stuff. i have already planted out some onions, and if i'd gotten my act together w/ the brassicas they'd be out too...

you know i'm thinking aloud here but i bet those snaps can go out now, they can handle cooler temps for sure. hmmm
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 183
I just planted my brassicas t'other day, both winter sown AND those I started inside. ....planted some winter sown green onions and chives with them as companions...should have wintersown more of them.....note to self...winter sow double the amounts of onions and chives!

When IS the full moon?

I've had my snaps out on the front porch for weeks...and yes, they can handle the cooler temps....after all, they are perennial. I hope to plant mine out tomorrow. I guess I'll be busy tomorrow!!!
alder
user 6954726
Sullivan, ME
Post #: 33
huh, i did not know snaps were perennial. looked it up and i guess their blooming often deteriorates after the 1st year which is why they're often grown as annuals. well, good to know as that will effect my planting placement, and i'll be curious to see how well they overwinter. thanks!

full moon.... well one calendar says the 19th, the other says the 20th, so.... somewhere betwixt the 2. tho looking at the weather we've got chances of rain and pretty warmish nights in the next few days.

checked on my peas last night, looking good, very minimal slug damage. sadly not many sweet peas germinated and i do'nt know why, most of the seed i used was fresh.

next on the agenda is getting the corn, beans, soybeans into the ground. i started my cucurbits in paper towel the other day so they'll be getting potted up as they sprout.

the joy of joys is that our first (and in my opinion, most stunning) iris bloomed this morning! but i'm STILL waiting on my darn tulips.

well, this has diverged greatly from yellowing leaves, but heck, i'm glad to find others who enjoy small talk about garden happenings. :)
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 184
Alder, I'm the poster child for ADD, so hey...that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!!!!

hehe

I have a dozen snaps ready to plant out myself. I have a few coneflower also.. My E. Tennesseensis has FINALLY started to show real signs of life. Even so, I'm not sure I'll have any to share with anyone. Sigh

I am even going to plant out my Spilanthes today, if you can believe that.
A former member
Post #: 125
Thanks to all who give garden updates! It is enjoyable reading, not as good as a garden tour of course, but still fun.

I've spread a lot of manure, cardboard and newspaper, and hay. Now I can only hope that slugs don't move in. They have eaten one cabbage. I was thinking about the idea of wrapping seaweed around the the little transplants. You'd think that would help.
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 188
Mary, I saved eggshells for slug prevention. Supposedly, scattering eggshells around your plants keeps slugs away from them...they don't like going over the sharp edges or something.

I didn't get the Spilanthes planted t'other day, but I still did get over 100 seedlings put out.

I have Mon and Tuesday off and hope to get another 100 plants put out. The bulb garden is filling out nicely with a variety of plants. It should be especially pretty next year after it's matured a little.

I've been so focused on planting out and such, that I am still not finding time or energy to prep more areas for planting.

Hopefully Tuesday that will change, and I'll get more beds prepped. I am still short of newspaper, mostly. I have loads of nice grass clippings drying on the lawn which I plan to use on top of my sheetmulched beds....but nowhere near enough newspaper.
Sue M.
user 3284483
South Portland, ME
Post #: 29
About when to plant out tender things, garden wisdom is that when the iris bloom in your yard it's safe. Of course if you have different microclimates, you need to take that into account.
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 189
Oh my! If I waited until the Beardeds bloomed I'd be mid to late June! If I waited for I. Reticulata, all my tenders would be dead!

hehe

My I. Reticulata were blooming in early/mid April.

Mark-
A former member
Post #: 126
I've tried egg shells for slugs and couldn't see it helped much.