The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Brunswick Area Permaculture

Brunswick Area Permaculture

Merry & Burl H.
BeMerry
Portland, ME
Post #: 55
I would find a Brunswick group a much easier and less gas guzzling commute. I also know some Brunswick people that might like to come on board. But I still want the opportunity and communication of the larger Portland group.

Merry in Sabattus
A former member
Post #: 7
Well it looks like there are indeed a few people who would appreciate having a permaculture sub-group centered around Brunswick. I will attend the Brunswick Sustainable Living meeting this evening and see if there are others who would be interested in participating. Pilar
Ted M.
TedMarkow
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 90
After talking with a couple of members from the Brunswick area, I'm revisiting Pilar's idea of a Brunswick area satellite group. It seems there are enough folks in this area and north of here who would be more involved if they didn't have to drive further south.

I also think Pilar's idea of sharing resources, services, tools, etc. is great. Seems like something we should be doing in this peak oil time.

So, is there still interest in this? I'm not sure exactly how to get the ball rolling other than to ask for a show of hands to see whether this is worth pursuing. From the responses to Pilar's original post, it appears as if there are about half a dozen folks who are interested. Anyone else?

I'll wait to see how many others may be interested, then will contact people individually to arrange a first get-together.
A former member
Post #: 3
I'm interested, Ted. I'm equidistant between Portland and Brunswick at my new place near Pineland. I don't want to abandon my new connections with the Portland group, but would like to also explore meetings with the northern folks, especially since I'm now one of them! I look forward to hearing more......

Many thanks,
Merry (Kahn)
Merry & Burl H.
BeMerry
Portland, ME
Post #: 70
I would find Brunswick easier, but am split, because I love the Portland people and events so. Certainly online we should remain as one. I think we just need to make sure we have some events up this way on a frequent basis. I also think shared work parties, social time, and tools in the northern area are a good idea. I'd sure love to have people come out to Sabattus to help us with swales on our hillside and sheet mulching of new beds. Another idea is a special online thread of available resources up this way. For instance, where do we get strawbales? Merry
Deb
user 4397109
New Gloucester, ME
Post #: 6
Hands up for me Ted. I live in New Gloucester and have been following the group by email for over a year, but getting to meetings is hard, and Brunswick would be doable. The few meetings that I have attended in Portland have been awesome and I think keeping our connection strong is crucial. I wonder what the Brunswick Sustainable Group is like ... and if you made it to the meeting Pilar, what are your thoughts?
Deb
Merry & Burl H.
BeMerry
Portland, ME
Post #: 71
Pilar,

Please tell us more about the Brunswick Sustainable Living group. Is it also a Meetup? If you got to the meeting, do you have good news to report to us? Rather than reinvent the wheel, might we Northerners do well working with them as well as maintaining our Portland connection?

Merry
A former member
Post #: 8
I've been so busy looking for work and harvesting from my garden that I haven't visited the message board in a while. Thanks to Ted for keeping the thread going, and it does indeed seem that there are enough people expressing interest in having some meetups, events, and sharing of materials/info specific to our immediate area. I did not make it to the Brunswick Sustainable Group meeting, but will contact them, find out what they are doing, and get back to everyone.
Ted M.
TedMarkow
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 92
So, the Brunswick area satellite permaculture/sustainability group is starting to gel and we have six members so far. I have created a listserv in order for us to communicate and we will be setting up a first meeting in the near future.

If anyone else is interested in being on the listserv, please send me an email and I will add you to it.

Thanks,

Ted
A former member
Post #: 3
Thanks Ted. I live in the Cundy's Harbor area and would like to be part of the Brunswick group, though want to stay connected to the Portland group too. Am also interested in the Brunswick Sustainable group as well. Count me in.

Thank you,
Lynette