A former member
Post #: 86
Radish Butter for Radish Sandwiches:

6 radishes--french breakfast or a mixture of red, purple and pink radishes
4 TBS unsalted butter
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
sea salt

Wash and trim radishes. If the leaves are tender and fresh, set a dozen or so aside, stems removed. Slice radishes into thin rounds and then crosswise into narrow strips. Chop the leaves. You end up with about 1/2 cup.

Mix the butter w/ the lemon zest until soft. Stir in chopped radishes, radish leaves and a pinch of salt. Spread on a crusty baguette and serve to Winnie for lunch.

from Local Flavors: Cooking and Eating from America's Farmer's Markets by Deborah Madison
Penelope
user 5846522
Portland, ME
Post #: 41
Thanks Winnie. Sounds delicious.

May be I will bring some to Max's saturday and you will be served first.smile
Donanne D.
user 7366070
Portland, ME
Post #: 6
The soup sounds wonderfull! I have been cooking and eating my radish greens but now I have so many other green the radish greens are not as tasty. I like raw kale mixed with different kinds of lettuce and red orach and lambs quarters and radishes make a deliscious sald. I love soup and will try your recipe. Radish greens and mustard greens I like better cooked.
I am very interested in reading the Maine foraging book. Perhaps we could share and barrow? We should get together and share books.
Could we have a gathering at my house on maybe the 28th sat at 11am?
Donanne
Penelope
user 5846522
Portland, ME
Post #: 42
By the way, I just got two amazing reference books that I highly recommend: The Neighborhood Forager and Perenniel Vegetables. They are already changing the way I interact with the landscape!

Lisa, I look forward to chatting with you about both these books.
Penelope
user 5846522
Portland, ME
Post #: 43
The soup sounds wonderfull! I have been cooking and eating my radish greens but now I have so many other green the radish greens are not as tasty. I like raw kale mixed with different kinds of lettuce and red orach and lambs quarters and radishes make a deliscious sald. I love soup and will try your recipe. Radish greens and mustard greens I like better cooked.
I am very interested in reading the Maine foraging book. Perhaps we could share and barrow? We should get together and share books.
Could we have a gathering at my house on maybe the 28th sat at 11am?
Donanne

I see you may attend Saturday's potluck - let's talk then. Thanks.
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 214
The Radish Leaf Soup you brought to our potluck on Saturday was soooo good Penelope! I'm glad to see it doesn't depend on cream but uses broth and soy milk to make it creamy! That's a recipe I'll save and use!

Thanks for the book suggestions too. Don't know who brought the lamb's quarters but I'm determined now to find some in our area.
Penelope
user 5846522
Portland, ME
Post #: 46
The Radish Leaf Soup you brought to our potluck on Saturday was soooo good Penelope! I'm glad to see it doesn't depend on cream but uses broth and soy milk to make it creamy! That's a recipe I'll save and use!

Thanks for the book suggestions too. Don't know who brought the lamb's quarters but I'm determined now to find some in our area.

Thanks Elaine. The potato gives the soup the body and much of its creaminess.
Ted M.
TedMarkow
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 77

Darn, I meant to taste your soup the other day, Penny, but didn't have a bowl. Hope I get another chance (hint, hint). smile
Penelope
user 5846522
Portland, ME
Post #: 52

Darn, I meant to taste your soup the other day, Penny, but didn't have a bowl. Hope I get another chance (hint, hint). smile

Ted and Beth: We could have improvised.