The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Whole Foods Organic Products from China

Whole Foods Organic Products from China

Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 478
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 234
Sure sounds like a betrayal to me. We don't buy produce from Whole Foods, and generally buy there only some items, like vitamins, we can't get elsewhere.

Thanks for the alert, Lisa!
Donanne D.
user 7366070
Portland, ME
Post #: 15
wow! Very informative. I cannot beleive they get away with it. Hopefully for not too much longer.
Donanne
A former member
Post #: 171
Now isn't *that* interesting. I just read the other day that the average distance food travels from farm to table is 1500 miles! Also read that the last canning factory in Canada just shut down - for one thing no ones buys out of season canned foods anymore since nothing actually is out of season anymore, and secondly, it's cheaper to outsource.

This outsourcing which has brought us cheap food could be the death of us as well, literally. The oil crunch is nothing compared to what will happen when the next pandemic disease strikes.
Penelope
user 5846522
Portland, ME
Post #: 57
Yes, always turn the package over to find the country of origin. Country of origin is often different than the country of origin that distributes it.

There are Customs laws and regulations that enforce country of origin marking requirements as well as DECEPTIVE MARKING such as with California in big letters on the front and China on the back. When Customs assesses potential deceptive country of origin marking the size and location of the lettering are considered.

The CH government will not allow foreign inspectors in country and THAT IS WHY there is a third party agent, who resides and conducts business in CH, to conduct "validation inspections." Countries other than CH do allow validation inspections without the use of a third party.

CH products are imported in to Canada, where a "tranformation occurs", and then it becomes country of origin CA.

Country of origin labeling legistation for produce was passed in 2004 and is supposed to go in effect (I think) in Novemeber.

US based special interest groups including food producers, distributors, brokers, Chamber of Commerce, ETC., lobby and win against tightening regulations.

There are many deceptive practices involved in food importation.
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 223
Well, even with all the import of foods, like this from China and the Europe's Best brand @ Hannaford, which also comes from china, there are other issues with packaged food that even originates from the US. A number of chemicals put in the food are not required to be listed...just *flavor enhancers*...these flavor enhancers are KNOWN to cause obesity because they actually encourage the appetite.

As far as food from china goes....I trust no food from China and will not purchase any Chinese food except Mandarin Oranges, since about all of those come from China.

The air pollution in CHina is absolutely oppresive and, literally, sickening. I was lucky that when I visited in 1999 it was during their 50th year celebration so most of the factories around Beijing were forced to close for a month before we even arrived there. Still, the air was putrid in places...So I have to wonder...if the air is that bad, what's landing on the plants and being absorbed into the fruit and veggies?

My little organic garden out back is becoming more and more important to me....
Ted M.
TedMarkow
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 85
I know of a locally owned health food store in Freeport that does not buy food from China. smile
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 212
I don't think health food stores can be trusted either. Look at all the muscleman crap they sell. This is health food? Unfortunately there is no way to assay anything they sell. Just because they say it's in the jar..... We find out over and over it ain't there. They will sell anything. If there is a bandwagon, they are on it. Health food stores are also a great place to get bogus advice from 7 dollar an hour 19 year old employees (who know everything). Anybody ever see the South Park episode with Miss Information? Hilarious and true.

There are some nice thing about Wholefoods. Its like going to the mall. It's fun to get the sushi or gelato. That said, I certainly don't knock myself out to by a lot there. It's a good idea gone wrong.

I have heard from so many locals that selling to them is practically impossible. I'm going to the Washington farmer's market today. They have a lot of fun stuff to get there. Last week they had teenagers from Ghana drumming on djembe's and selling African products for ghanayouth.org.

Buy locally wherever possible.
Donanne D.
user 7366070
Portland, ME
Post #: 16
It's just time to grow our own food and swap with the neighbor for products you don't grow yourself. Easier said then done but it's worth a try. We are so excited to buy land to create an environment to do just this. Our goal is to be planting on it by the spring
Donanne
Ted M.
TedMarkow
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 87
I don't think health food stores can be trusted either. Look at all the muscleman crap they sell. This is health food? Unfortunately there is no way to assay anything they sell. Just because they say it's in the jar..... We find out over and over it ain't there. They will sell anything. If there is a bandwagon, they are on it. Health food stores are also a great place to get bogus advice from 7 dollar an hour 19 year old employees (who know everything). Anybody ever see the South Park episode with Miss Information? Hilarious and true.

There are some nice thing about Wholefoods. Its like going to the mall. It's fun to get the sushi or gelato. That said, I certainly don't knock myself out to by a lot there. It's a good idea gone wrong.

I have heard from so many locals that selling to them is practically impossible. I'm going to the Washington farmer's market today. They have a lot of fun stuff to get there. Last week they had teenagers from Ghana drumming on djembe's and selling African products for ghanayouth.org.

Buy locally wherever possible.

I think the same can be said of any store, anywhere, David. All stores are in the retail sales business and it ultimately comes down to caveat emptor.

I work in said health food store in Freeport and know that while there is some stuff we sell that I don't agree with (more like boutique food), there is also much locally grown and produced food. Farmers markets reach a limited number of people, and while I highly support them and CSAs, health food stores are also a good place to buy local. Yes, some stores sell a lot of protein powders (we sell some) and far too many supplements, but again, it's there to supply a demand. We try to do that in a responsible and healthful way.

Until our society restructures itself around small farms and many farmers' markets, I think health food stores fill a niche that otherwise wouldn't be filled. Organic farmers owe much of their livelihoods to health food stores. Health food stores also provide jobs to local people, and some even at a living wage (as does mine).