Merry & Burl H.
BeMerry
Portland, ME
Post #: 73
Remember the opportunity to donate extra harvest to your local food pantry. They are increasingly tuned in to local harvest. Check with your town office to see where the closest one is.

Wanda, who runs the Rural Community Action Ministry Garden Project (which teaches people to do kitchen gardening) also accepts large donations for Senior Shares. I would be happy to ingather excess from the Northern people on prearranged dates and take our produce to her. Maybe once in late July, once or twice in August, and once in September. I would be happy to write up a little bit on permaculture for Wanda to distribute to her new-to-gardening clients, too.

Other sub-areas of our greater Portland group might want to do some local ingathering and distribution too.

Merry
Donanne D.
user 7366070
Portland, ME
Post #: 28
What a great idea!
Donanne
Merry & Burl H.
BeMerry
Portland, ME
Post #: 75
I sent this message out to Wanda:

Hi Wanda,

People in my permaculture group are posting about sharing excesses in their kitchen gardens. I've suggested ingathering some to donate to RCAM for Senior Shares or others in need of supplementing their own gardens. (All are grown sustainably.) If we ingathered on Sunday, July 27, could you use food on Monday the 28th? If not, when after that would be better?

Blessings, Merry

I'll keep you posted.
A former member
Post #: 23
This is an idea I've had all along Merry, but our inner city parish has a food pantry where we plan to bring our surplus.
Merry & Burl H.
BeMerry
Portland, ME
Post #: 76
Sunday, July 23rd, 1-3 PM: Any "northerners" with surplus food, please bring it to the bandstand at the Brunswick Town Green. Wanda will pick it up from me Sunday evening for distribution through Rural Community Action Ministry. It will go straight to people, not sit and wilt at a food pantry. Blessings on all who are willing to go out of their way to share. BeMerry