Beth
BethRich
Cape Elizabeth, ME
Post #: 7
Does any one know if and where I cold buy mushrooms locally? I am in Cape Eliz and would love to purchase some until I learn to forage my own.
Thanks-Beth
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 509
Hi Beth - I feel like I saw someone at the Saturday Farmers Market who was cultivating mushrooms for sale and to sell spore kits. From Damariscotta, maybe? hmmm...anyone else know?
Penelope
user 5846522
Portland, ME
Post #: 67
Lisa: Which farmers market? Is there a web site that lists current farmers markets?
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 221
Dan and Candice Heydon of Oyster Creek Mushroom Farm in Damariscotta sell at a number of farm markets. They sell cultivated and wild mushrooms. They have also recently been able to break through to sell to whole foods. 563-1076 The biggest commercial picker I am aware of lives in Portland. He mostly sells to restaurants though. There must be some other places. It has been a pretty bad year for wild mushrooms so far but this recent rain may change things dramatically.

David
Donanne D.
user 7366070
Portland, ME
Post #: 33
Is there going to be another mushroom walk in Cape ELizabeth this fall? My daughter would love to eat the wild mushrooms in the woods but I don't have the knowledge yet. I would love to learn more
Donanne
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 222
I could be available for mushroom walks in circumstances where I could get enough people to pay a fee that covers time and gas.

Learning mushrooming can take a long time. All mushrooms should be cooked BTW including those from the store.

Be sure to have a look at my site for info on the better edible mushrooms with tips on finding them and preparation.

http://mushroom-colle...­

I went on a foray with the Maine Mycological Assoc. yesterday in Harpswell. The mushrooming is quite poor right now.

David
A former member
Post #: 1
Does any one know if and where I cold buy mushrooms locally? I am in Cape Eliz and would love to purchase some until I learn to forage my own.
Thanks-Beth

Beth,

We bought a shitake starter kit from Oyster Creek Mushrooms in Damariscotta a few years back; we're still getting great shitake from that original batch of logs. It's easy - a few hours to get started (drilling holes in 6" oak sapling logs and then inserting and sealing the spore plugs). We place a log or two in a tub of cold water for a few days then place the logs in an 80-90% dark area, and within a week or two we have lots of shrooms.

Great to buy them locally when you find them; even better to grow!

Bob
Beth
BethRich
Cape Elizabeth, ME
Post #: 8
David-
I live in CApe E (my property abuts the Robinson Woods property..) and would love to learn more - I bet I could get a group together. What is the number of people you need to cover costs???
Dave R.
user 7213602
Portland, ME
Post #: 2
Add two adults and 2 kids to the yes list.
We are in Scarborough and would love to go foraging.
Let us know when, where and how much.

Dave
Scott D
user 7715836
Buxton, ME
Post #: 1
I'll guide a forage for anyone who'd like to go. The when we'll have to figure out, the where would be any place we are allowed to go. If you have the woods I'll show you what you can eat. The Boletes should be up soon(now in some places) and the Chanterelles should be up in about a week after the soaker we got. That is a generalization though each environment is of course different.

Scott D