David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 223
About ten people at $15 each should do it. It would be good to wait till the mushrooms are really growing. Also, consider joining the Maine Mycological Assoc. Only $10 a year.

David
Beth
BethRich
Cape Elizabeth, ME
Post #: 9
David - When do you think the mushrooms will be growing? I'll start drumming up interest now. I would think that we could find 10 people.

Beth
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 224
I guess I thought this last month. You may have had a bit more rain in the Portland area than here. It has been pretty dry and mushroomless. The MMA foray I went to last weekend in Harpswell was pretty scant. It's supposed to rain some more in the next few days so hopefully that will wake them up. If I think things are starting to pop I will certainly say so.

There are always some mushrooms out there. In dry weather there are always russulas and amanitas. That said, russulas are hard to identify (150 similar looking species) and amanitas should be completely avoided.

David
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 512
If anyone does want to set up more forage walks, I am happy to schedule them as meetups or simply as "notes" on the calendar. If we do them as meetups then they'll fill up pretty quickly (esp if they're in or near Portland). Either way, just let me know if I can help. There was alot of demand for the last mushroom walk and I'm sure we could fill more.

I had the most delicious chanterelles and black trumpets last night, quickly sauteed in a little butter and sea salt. The friend that dropped them off said he got them "west of here." I forget that foragers are like fishermen:) with their special spots.
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 226
I hear from Candice that the only mushrooms coming in are from places like Eustis and Fryburg and other western locations. She has seen no coastal pickers at all.
Around my area there is nothing much.

Growing mushrooms on logs is pretty easy. You don't need oak. Maple or other hardwoods are fine. I dont have any oak logs. Red maple and birch both work well for me. You really don't need to wax them either. I never have and my logs grow just fine. Logs need to be clean and rested for a few weeks. More than 2 months may be a problem. Old logs are not good.

David
francesco s.
user 3227838
Portland, ME
Post #: 30
Does anyone know where to get 4' long and 6" to 8" in diameter oak, maple or other hardwoods in the Portland area? I'm ready for my drilling and plugging of shiitake. The Oyster Creek people have plugs ready. They deliver to this area since they supply the local Rosemont Markets in Portland and Yarmouth.
Donanne D.
user 7366070
Portland, ME
Post #: 36
Why do you have to cook all mushrooms. I thought you could eat some raw or even dried.
Please do schedule a mushroom walk!
Donanne
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 234
Mushrooms are starting to come now so scheduling a walk would be more productive now.

All wild mushrooms should be cooked. In addition to some volatiles that cook off it takes care of any bacteria that may be on them in the wild not to mention slug slime or other things bugs might leave behind.

White button mushrooms/cremini/portobello are only safe to eat in small quantities raw. There are trace amounts of hydrazines that cook off. They generally taste better cooked anyway and cooking tends to release the contents of the chitin walled cells. Mushrooms cells that are not thoroughly chewed are quite indigestable.

David
A former member
Post #: 102
I didn't see Oyster Creek's booth last year at the Common Ground Fair but I think it was the year before that I saw them selling their kits. It's great to know they keep going a long time! You can also get kits from Pinetree Seeds in New Gloucester 207-926-3400 or www.superseeds.com Kits: Portobello, Shiitake, Maitake, Nameko, Cinnamon Cap and Lion's Maine, Tree Oyster and Chicken of the Woods plugs.

Winnie
Kiya
Kiya18
Portland, ME
Post #: 7
Dave,
I would love it if you came for a foray in Portland. This week there are mushrooms everywhere, esp. lots of boletes. I think I'm inundated with bicolor, but consideriing the other possibilities I'm not quite ready to dine on them! Portland area is predominately hardwoods, so I rarely see chanterelles. BTW, your web site has great photos.